RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 2005 Range Rover who is failing its owner, who has faithfully maintained me over 150,000 miles. :oops: I will not start. My battery is good, and the starter turns my engine over when he tries to start me, but I will not fire, except sometimes with the help of some starting fluid sprayed in my throttle body -- then I run fine until shut off. For some reason, I just can't get the gas I need to fire up on command. When I run, my injectors are firing, and my owner has replaced all of my spark plugs to eliminate lack of spark as a potential cause.

My owner has determined lack of fuel as my main symptom, after getting little to no pressure on the fuel rail schrader valve. He then checked my fuel pump fuses (both in the rear cargo area and front glove box), as well as my fuel pump relay, which all tested OK with a multimeter. He has even tediously removed the rear carpet and fuel pump cover to confirm that my fuel pump works, and broken his knuckle doing so. He found that the fuel pump is not running when my ignition is in the no. 2 position as it should, although the pump runs fine when a wire jumps between the (+) and the relay port in the rear cargo fuse panel. (?) So, for some reason, no power is coming into my fuel pump relay to switch the pump on when I'm starting. Now, I'm sitting alone as my owner searches the internet for another solution....he has not had any luck so far.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
20 Posts
never owned a 05 RR but I had a jeep that had the same issue, it was the fuel relay in the fuse compartment under the hood.A few taps to the relay with a object got me home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One additional fact to mention: Once engine is started (with help of starting fluid), pump turns on and runs fine as it should, and appropriate fuel pressure is measured on the fuel rail; it does not stall out or anything. It will run/drive indefinitely until engine is shut off. The issue seems to be a lack of fuel to the engine at the time of startup. I saw some older threads with a similar issue, didn't think it was exactly the same problem. Please, someone chime in and provide your thoughts on what to try next!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the fuel pump relay. Have tested the relay with a multimeter, and switched out the relay for a known working relay. Again, the fuel pumps just fine once the car is started -- it's getting power to the fuel pump relay, then to the pump at the moment of startup that seems to be the issue.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
have you replaced the fuel; filter yet?,
this is where i would start,
it has a fuel pressure regulator in it so if its bad or clogged the system may lose pressure

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree that the next step should be replacing the fuel filter. When my fuel pump died, it would actually run, but it was very weak.

" found that the fuel pump is not running when my ignition is in the no. 2 position as it should". I know you tested the relay externally, but was the voltage measured with a meter, or just an assumption because the truck didn't start?

If you jumper across the pins to drive the fuel pump, do you obtain proper fuel pressure at the rail? If so, check if you are seeing 12V and ground for the relay when the key is turned on. The ECM closes the relay by providing a ground path so you may need to check the Engine Control Module and the ECM relay.

Good Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
if you swapped out the pump only from the fuel pump assembly,
then its quite possible that you pinnched an O ring and the pressure is bleeding off
NOTE you wouldnt be the first to have this happen , yes it requires reseating the pump lines

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: We have determined that the ECM is not giving ground to the fuel pump relay. Bypassed relay, have fuel pressure @ rail when bypassed, and engine will start with a shot of ether. Won't start on it's own once we do the bypass; but will with the ether. Once it's up and running, there are no problems until the car is shut off; then the steps above must be repeated. Any ideas as to where I go from here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't change out the pump. The pump operates and provides pressure @ the rail when the relay is jumped/bypassed.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
39 Posts
that sounds like a temp fix at best. Should actually correct the issue IMO

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
Update: We have determined that the ECM is not giving ground to the fuel pump relay. Bypassed relay, have fuel pressure @ rail when bypassed, and engine will start with a shot of ether. Won't start on it's own once we do the bypass; but will with the ether. Once it's up and running, there are no problems until the car is shut off; then the steps above must be repeated. Any ideas as to where I go from here?
If you can go without the car for a few days I can clone your ecu into a good one for testing (so the new one will start/run the car). Only caveat is I need it in hand to do so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts