Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 05 RR and after one month the engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer and he replaced the 2 front o2 sensors. The next day the light came back on so I went back to the dealer and he swapped them with a new set, thinking that the original new o2 sensors may be faulty.I pick the car up and less than 30 minutes later the light came back on. Knowing I was getting nowhere with the guy about the car from, I decided to take it to an actual Land Rover dealership. After reading that RR has an issue with the catalytic converters cracking I asked the Land Rover technician to look for that as well. He told me that the cats look like they were replaced but had no record of any past work done under warranty. Also he said that the front o2 sensors looked new. I left there with no answers. I did some digging and found the original dealership that the range was serviced at and emailed them. I gave them the VIN and they told me that the passenger side cat was replaced in 08. The problem is, I don't know what these codes mean or if my catalytic converters are even the problem. I was hoping that someone on this forum may be able to give me some insight. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has this problem already been covered in this forum? Or am I the first to experience it? I have searched enough to justify starting this thread. I was hoping for anything, any help at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. The codes are for range/performance for O2 sensors Bank #1 Sensor#1 and Bank#2 Sensor#1. I know that means the 2 sensors before the catalytic converters. They been changed but still I get the codes. Hopefully that clarifies my post a little more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
When i looked up first code it seemed to be for all imports from Japan and indicated a lean condition for a period of time. This sounds like a possible vacuum leak so wondering if any check in that area. Not sure how to do it on our engines but I think spraying starting fluid around the intake system might show a change in rpm if a vac leak exists. Just curious what reader you have that gave those codes. I have not bought yet but RSW has a reader and reset tool for our models that would be great to have for our BMW powered righs. I have a basic reader I bought for our 2000 and it gives the P codes for issues and I had a pP code for our 04 relating to the sensors but there was no signal according to the code. A re and re and the code stopped coming back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late response. The OBD2 I'm using was purchased at Harbour Freight just across the Canadian border. I know it may have been cheap but I received the same P codes on 2 other readers. One was at a Land Rover dealership. I don't know if this is an indication of the problem, but when I am sitting idling, it idles very low. Around 500 rpm. But doesn't haappen all time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update. I was able to get my cats changed under Land Rover warranty. (Thank you Budd's in Oakville ) In the process, the front 2 O2 sensors were changed to OEM from aftermarket. The fact that I had aftermarket O2 sensors made the dealer suspect that this was the problem. Well, the engine light came on as I was on my way home. I pulled the codes P2a03 at first. Then as a test I scanned it after I got home from work the following day. I had both P2a00 and P2a03. I understand that these are not Range codes so I have no idea what they indicate. Is it running too lean/rich? My OBD monitors live data so it can show me what the O2 are doing while the car is running. Has anyone done this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts