RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 NAS import 4.4 , in generally excellent condition, spitting ice and aircon switches off

The problem has been described here
Climate Control Problems
Some owners have reported their air conditioning will work perfectly for about 1/2 an hour and then gradually the airflow will reduce so that the interior just gets hotter and hotter. Manually increasing the fan speed has no effect. The fan sounds as though it's working OK but there is very little air coming out of any of the vents. If you stop the car, turn off the ignition, wait a couple of minutes and start again then everything is OK. Dealers do not seem to recognize the problem. Similar problems have been reported on BMW 5 series vehicles that share the same system (see this link). Apparently in high humidity areas the control software turns off the A/C prematurely to prevent ice forming on the evaporator. For BMWs a service bulletin was issued on the subject and there is a software fix.
but unfortunately all the links Ifound in an old thread from 2006 are dead.

So after an hour or less the airco will spit some ice and switch to almost nothing.

Yes, it is humid and hot here, even more so where my client lives.

also I have noticed that when it does work it gets very cold.

Being NAS the temperature dials work by guesswork, i have decided top center corresonds to 24 in the IIdtool, left is 16 and right is b...y hot. So if I set it to say 17.5, one click from left here is what i get

the thermometer gives me a real cabin temperature of around 22º

aircon mystery.jpg

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When i struggled with the picture upload I forgot to say, yes it is really icy till it will switch off, the -0.5 are true. I have tested the thermometer as well in our corner shop where they have frozen goods and in the dairy fridge

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
Your evaporator is freezing up, it gets ice on the outside and the airflow can no longer pass thru the fins of the evaporator. once the ice starts to melt air starts passing thru the fins and you get cold air again. Usually caused by being low on refrigerant, but could also be a plugged up expansion valve.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your evaporator is freezing up, it gets ice on the outside and the airflow can no longer pass thru the fins of the evaporator. once the ice starts to melt air starts passing thru the fins and you get cold air again. Usually caused by being low on refrigerant, but could also be a plugged up expansion valve.
Thank you, it must be the valve, the systen has been filled a week ago.

Would you have any clue the evaporator temperature come up.as pretty high when I must be near 0°c

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts