RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting for future reference, operations and diagnostics for Denso navigation system. This applies to 2005-2009 Disco/LR3, 2006-2009 RRS and 2005-2009 RR fitted with touchscreen navigation. Diagnosis paper allows testing of things such as microphone sensitivity, GPS antenna reception, etc., it contains Diagnostics Trouble Code "translations" to better identify faults within the system, and handy symptom-based troubleshooting flowcharts. Could be useful info for DiYers or indie mechanics as our vehicles' factory warranties start expiring.

The infotainment system has been substantially overhauled on 2010 models (including a completely new interface and hard drive based navigation system), so the attachments don't apply to 2010+ vehicles, although I suspect some of the procedures and "behind the scenes" diagnostic tests and trouble codes may be similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
24 Posts
It seems you are the authority on this forum. I have question about seeing my
phonebook information and making calls via the navigation touch screen. I have a
range rover sport 2006 and just upgrade my bluetooth module.
In order to view the phonebook information and making calls via the nav touch screen what do i need
to change or do, or it's just not possible. Any insight would be great.

Thank you

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome bozzner. With or without BT module upgrade, the 2006-2009 Sport's touchscreen was not designed to interface with a connected cellular phone. The only phone-related thing you can do on the touchscreen is entering telephone numbers for contacts to be saved in the voice recognition module (assuming anyone uses that feature anymore, since it's quite a PITA to set up and operate that chatty lady in the dash.) However, the LCD on the radio head unit should allow you to view, scroll through and select downloaded phonebook entries from a connected and compatible handset, and of course the number keypad next to it can be used to dial numbers when in phone / Bluetooth mode.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Hey Umbertob
Great Diagnostic aid. Have used it several times. Great Job.

I have had "No GPS" for several years. The little GPS Icon with the red line through it, in the top left side of the display screen.
I picked up a replacement GPS Antenna, but that didn't work.
In diagnostic mode, the system can see satelites, but won't take a position fix.
If you have come across this before, can you remember the cause? Is it a faulty component on the DVD/ECU PCB?

I am wondering if there is a bigger issue.
I noticed in the DensoSat-Operations booklet that the COMPASS feature was working.
Mine never has !!!

Is it possible that these 2 faults are related, and perhaps it's not the DVD/ECU for the SatNav?

Thanks in advance.
Dave G

·
Registered
1 Posts
posting for future reference, operations and diagnostics for denso navigation system. This applies to 2005-2009 disco/lr3, 2006-2009 rrs and 2005-2009 rr fitted with touchscreen navigation. Diagnosis paper allows testing of things such as microphone sensitivity, gps antenna reception, etc., it contains diagnostics trouble code "translations" to better identify faults within the system, and handy symptom-based troubleshooting flowcharts. Could be useful info for diyers or indie mechanics as our vehicles' factory warranties start expiring.

The infotainment system has been substantially overhauled on 2010 models (including a completely new interface and hard drive based navigation system), so the attachments don't apply to 2010+ vehicles, although i suspect some of the procedures and "behind the scenes" diagnostic tests and trouble codes may be similar.

thank you for posting these, umbertob!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Denso voice recognition problem

I have a 2006 Sport and the voice recognition has decided not to work! I am getting ' no voice detected ' . I have taken a look at the mike in the light fitting and it seems to be connected. Any thoughts as to what it might be and what I can check out. Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: Denso voice recognition problem

Check out page 33 of the Diagnostics PDF attached in the first post.

Generally a wiring issue for this is due to the harness being pinched under the Driver's seat rear right mount, under the carpet, but this is on a US spec, LHD vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
looking at the PDF file it is a bit beyond me to understand. My problem with the Denso GPS is that the voice recognition is not working....I am receiving "no speech detected"....can any one suggest what the problem might be, perhaps something I could check out? I am living in France and the local RR Dealership have not got a clue as to anything to do with the GPS!!

·
Registered
13 Posts

I have checked out the wiring under the seat and all seem as it should be. Can you suggest any way I can check to see if its the mike that's at fault? I have checked that the connections to the mike are good.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

The wiring that usually gets damaged there, can not be seen without removing the seat.

You can go into the diagnostic screen and check the signal level input from the mic. Even if the wiring to the nav is damaged, you may see a signal as the mic goes to both the amp and the nav, but nav controls the voice command. However, if the wires are shorted to ground, or another signal, then it can bring down both sides of the splice, giving you no signal to the amp either.

I have only replaced one mic, and that was immediately after a water leak repair, that got it wet.

If the PDF instructions are past your capability, might want to print out the PDF and take it to a local repair shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Following on from your suggestion, I put the GPS in diagnostic mode and went to Microphone Test. The PTT is 'ok' but no showing on the Microphone Input Level and nothing on the Microphone Level check. I would be grateful for your suggestion as to what I should follow up checking to sort the problem out. From your last 'reply' I presume you are very knowledgable in this field......please do keep your written suggestion to a level that a child/layman can follow as this is not my field and I am struggling. If I do need to take the seat out, is this a straight forward job? Andrew

·
Registered
13 Posts

Just had another thought.....before checking on other possible reasons the mike is not responding, can you suggest any way I can check to see if it is in fact the mike that is at fault?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Checking the mic is best done with swapping a known good one, have a friend with a Range Rover, or RRS, or LR3/4? But can also be done by using a Multimeter, but might want to take it to a shop for that.

The seat isn't very difficult to remove, but you do need to be careful, as there are air bags inside it, and can very easily cause warning lights to come on, at the very least.

Best diagnostic test, but may be above your level, would be to unplug the mic and the nav, and check continuity on the wires, and also to ground. I don't have the diagram in front of me, but if you would like what pins to check let me know, it's a matter of opening a PDF. It is a simple circuit, and any qualified person can go through it without much issue, but easy electrical is not easy to all, quite honestly, probably half of the dealership techs I have worked with in the past would consider this to be difficult diagnostics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts