RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about buying a used spare keyless remote and a new uncut shell on ebay. I was thinking about having the uncut shell cut by a locksmith, swaping the guts from the used unit into the newly cut shell and using the programming procedure to sync the key to my truck. My question is, Will this work? Has anybody tried it? just wondering because there are several used keys and new uncut shells on fleabay.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did this, and got it to work. Although the uncut key I got from Ebay wasn't an exact match to the original key (very slight differences in the plastic housing), so I had to trim the insides slightly, and the red LED light 'sinks' a little into the Key (which I guess I could fix quite easily). Please don't lose the tiny Transponder thingy! It is probably not 'attached' into your old key, and can fall out and get lost if you're not careful... The key is (pun is of course absolutely intended) to understand that you will need to use your old 'guts' - In other words, you can't do this project in order to set yourself up with a 2nd Key that will turn on the car, although you could get a different key, with guts, from another vehicle, and at least program it so that you can electronically lock and (more importantly) unlock the vehicle, in case you've lost your key. At least then you could get it towed to the Stealership and spend about $10,000 to get a new Key to work. The only real issue I had was that there wasn't a Locksmith here in Madison who had the machine that could cut a blank key, but I did a local search every 6 months or so, and found a place that just had the machine installed. Cost was $40 to get it cut.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry Nevel Im a little confused (Im from the south so you have to type slower) First you said it worked and then you said it will not work but you found a guy that cut it to make it work? I guess what I want to know is if I buy a used key and use the guts from that key to a blank dummy key then have the blank cut to match my original key will I be able to unlock and crank my car with that key. In essence I want to have two keys because I lost my spare.
I did this, and got it to work. Although the uncut key I got from Ebay wasn't an exact match to the original key (very slight differences in the plastic housing), so I had to trim the insides slightly, and the red LED light 'sinks' a little into the Key (which I guess I could fix quite easily). Please don't lose the tiny Transponder thingy! It is probably not 'attached' into your old key, and can fall out and get lost if you're not careful... The key is (pun is of course absolutely intended) to understand that you will need to use your old 'guts' - In other words, you can't do this project in order to set yourself up with a 2nd Key that will turn on the car, although you could get a different key, with guts, from another vehicle, and at least program it so that you can electronically lock and (more importantly) unlock the vehicle, in case you've lost your key. At least then you could get it towed to the Stealership and spend about $10,000 to get a new Key to work. The only real issue I had was that there wasn't a Locksmith here in Madison who had the machine that could cut a blank key, but I did a local search every 6 months or so, and found a place that just had the machine installed. Cost was $40 to get it cut.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Most of the cheap keys on eBay are made of cheap steel and will bugger the cutting machines, if you do get it cut, they snap off in the lock, they should be made of a brass alloy....

You can get a blank BMW key cut that will unlock the door but it won't work to crank the car or switch off the steering lock unless you have a transponder in it, as you only have one then it's no good...

You maybe able to get a new transponder coded at a key shop, but it won't be cheap.

You can programme a new key to unlock the car easily yourself but you have to programme all the keys you have at the same time or the old ones won't work....

Basically for you to get a spare key working as it should you need the transponder, it looks like a little piece of black plastic, and you need it programmed to the car....

Have you asked the dealer, their not that exorbitantly priced here in the UK...

Good luck....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know if I a used keyless remote from another 03-05 HSE will lock and unlock my car? I appreciate the info on the cheap Chinese keys, Ill look for something a little more well made. As for the price of a spare key..........My Stealership wants 395.00 for the key and 160.00 to "Program" I asked if I could just buy the key and program it myself (which I know I can do) but they insisted that I couldn't program the key, besides Im not paying 395 for a spare key unless I loose the one I have because they said they could order me a new one via the VIN and proof of ownership, it will take about 7-10 days to get it. Anyway Im trying to find another option that's why Im inquiring about the used key with a new empty shell.
Most of the cheap keys on eBay are made of cheap steel and will bugger the cutting machines, if you do get it cut, they snap off in the lock, they should be made of a brass alloy....

You can get a blank BMW key cut that will unlock the door but it won't work to crank the car or switch off the steering lock unless you have a transponder in it, as you only have one then it's no good...

You maybe able to get a new transponder coded at a key shop, but it won't be cheap.

You can programme a new key to unlock the car easily yourself but you have to programme all the keys you have at the same time or the old ones won't work....

Basically for you to get a spare key working as it should you need the transponder, it looks like a little piece of black plastic, and you need it programmed to the car....

Have you asked the dealer, their not that exorbitantly priced here in the UK...

Good luck....

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
On the L322, any compatible remote can be programmed(03 remote can program to a 09 and the other way around) and can be from a different vehicle(another L322, probably not a Honda)

For the ignition to work, the chip inside(immobilizer chip, not remote board) needs to be swapped, and these are per vehicle only, cannot be programmed from one to another.

·
Registered
241 Posts
There are places in the UK that can make you a transponder chip(the bit you need to start it) have a google or do some phoning around there and you may find someone...

If you get one of the cheap eBay keys you can usually take the blade out and change it for a basic BMW key blade....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what Im looking for. OK I think I can get a blank key coded and cut from the UK and use the guts from the used key. Should put me in the $150 range which I can handle that.
On the L322, any compatible remote can be programmed(03 remote can program to a 09 and the other way around) and can be from a different vehicle(another L322, probably not a Honda)

For the ignition to work, the chip inside(immobilizer chip, not remote board) needs to be swapped, and these are per vehicle only, cannot be programmed from one to another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts