RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Range Rover came up with Trans Failsafe Prog in messages when I started to move off. Had to climb steep hill and lost forward drive. While waiting on a tow back home, However I read the manual and it said to insert 5 amp fuse in slot 37 . Did this and started car from neutral. went into drive and manual mode ok. Drove home in manual mode.
Question: can I continue to drive car with fuse in place ? Can't afford to fix whatever happened in safe mode.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
The transmission can be damaged if its output shaft is turned at speed for a period while the engine (and therefore the transmission oil pump) isn’t running. If the vehicle is to be towed on its wheels, therefore, the transfer box must be put into neutral to prevent the wheels from driving the output shaft.

Inserting a fuse into position 37 tells the ECU to operate the transfer box shift motor to a position between high and low ranges which disconnects the drive. When fuse 37 is in place it should therefore be impossible for the driveline to propel the vehicle and TRANSFERBOX NEUTRAL should appear on the message centre. If you’re able to drive your vehicle with fuse 37 in place there is a problem with either the shift motor or its calibration.

https://youtu.be/SuBLha8E3wY?list=PLSj9zhx7JgrGugnwwURZ7wxXWAjL-7CJI

Faulty shift motors (and more particularly the rotary potentiometer in the shift motor that feeds back its position to the ECU) can commonly be a cause of the TRANSMISSION FAILSAFE PROG message.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil. So I must have a bad sensor in the shift motor. It must be sending bad info to the ECU which then brings up the error message " Failsafe Trans Prog. Even with the fuse in 37 the car must be in high ratio as it drives fine. As I don't use or need low range I'm not going to have it fixed. So I guess I'm good to keep driving it with the fuse in place ??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts