RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reset my Vanos timing today, installed the jigs andtightened inner torx and timing wheel nut to spec. Unlocked the engine and slowly turned…itappeared I had slack in the chain and I was concerned it may have jumped atooth but moved it back in the other direction and if it jumped the in thefirst direction, it appeared to jump back. I tightened the tensioner jig more and proceeded with caution turningthe engine. Did 4 full revolutions ofthe cranked bolt and returned it back to TDC. Thankfully the cams lined up as the should with the engine at TDC.
I did notice the timing wheels had some strange movement andI was not sure if this was normal. Theywould literally stop moving for a mili-second then continue to turn. I doubt if the engine were running at normal speedit would be even noticeable. I wasturning so slow and gingerly even the slightest difference was noticeable.
Getting ready to install the covers, wanted to be sure I wasgood to go.2004

·
Registered
865 Posts
From what I understand it sounds like all is normal. The slight pause is as the cam lobes pass over top center the valve springs push the cam forward, and then the crank must catch up. The vanos will have some slack until it refills with oil to tighten the assembly back up.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Yes all completely normal, plop a little oil onto the cams and new chains. Being apart for this long you will have a lifter clatter that will sound not great.. Should disappear after a while driving or doing a lifter bleeding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts