RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the midst of a timing chain guide job on a 2004 Range Rover (BMW M 62 Engine). I am stuck on the lower timing cover.

I appear to have all the bolts out including the 6 on theunderside, but its not budging. The topones popped right off.

I didnot remove the A/C tensioner as it does not appear to be attached to the timingcover. Looks like it attaches to thelower oil pan. P/S pump seems to be thesame. Are any of those two the hold-up?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Post few pics of the front and side of the covers. Cant really help out til I see how far you gotten and what you may have overlooked. Or you can befriend the Rave manual for help

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Obviously I've already PMed you, but I'll post it here for future users.

"IIRC the AC tensioner can stay on, but the power steering pump needs to be taken off, it's not difficult, and on the back attached to the pump you'll see a long stud which will be holding tight onto the timing cover. Should take 10-15 minutes to undo the pump, I recommend looking at it from the underside. If you need any more help don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck!"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see what you mean now about the P/S pump. At first glance it appears to bolt below the lower timing cover but usingmy phone camera I can see where the right side of the pump, hidden by thealternator housing, is up against the cover. Once the P/S pump is off how hard should it be to remove the cover? This is the final piece before I can replacethe guides, time it, and put it back together.
Also, do I need to replace the crank pulley bolt? I’ve heard from some sources it’s a throwaway item but honestly it looks okay to me.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Once the PS pump is off it should be pretty easy to remove the cover, watch out as they like to stick due to gasket material.

Get a new crank pulley bolt, it's $20 off of ECS Tuning, and is a stretch bolt. Though you may not see that it is. It takes angle to put it on, if you don't have a angle meter I used a piece of cardboard with a hole for the socket and a few marks for what angle I need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts