RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've done a few quick searches but couldn't find anything definitive to help me so I'd like to ask for your help in brainstorming what could be wrong with my Rover.

It's a 2004 HSE 4.4 M62 with 110,000 miles and the symptoms are as follows: when accelerating the front end wobbles, steers off course (as in any direction), and when you stop accelerating, it seems to stablize back to normal. One quick note, when accelerating, the entire body of the car seems to "flex" to the right as if fighting itself, and when you let off the accelerator it seems to "flex" back to it's normal resting state.

The wobble has gotten progressively worse over the past month. I initially misdiagnosed it as worn tie rod ends and already replaced the left and right tie rod ends with Lemfoerder OEM units.

Additional notes on my front end and some thoughts:

FRONT UPPER and LOWER CONTROL ARMS: When I had the car on the lift, I manually flexed the front lower and upper control arms with my hand and they didn't seem excessively worn but could probably use replacing.
FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS: These are original, although there is no "whine" or excessive noise from the wheel bearings, I am unsure if these are a factor in my symptoms.
FRONT AXLE SHAFTS: The CV joints are original and 110,000 miles on them, the boots are intact and not torn, but I do not know the inside condition of the CV joints. Could these be the case of my wobble?
FRONT DIFFERENTIAL: I changed the differential fluid with OEM Landrover fluid and filled it to the appropriate level when the car had roughly 90,000 miles. I also did the transfer case, rear diff, and transmission fluid and filter as well. There are no leaks and visually the unit looks fine from the outside. Although I know there are L322s with front diff problems, could the front diff be the cause of my wobble?
DRIVESHAFT FLEX JOINT: To my knowledge this part is original and has 110,000 miles on it. Could this be the cause of the "flex" feeling I have when accelerating?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Have you checked the motor mounts? Get under it with a big pry bar and look around. Be careful that you don't put excess forces on cast aluminum parts. A block of wood may be helpful for leverage purposes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This may sound stupid but I had the same symptoms with a 04 I bought a few years ago. I bought it with a blown transmission so was unable to road test it. After I had the transmission fixed I drove home and I thought the thing was going to fly off the road.

Turned out to be a tire ballance of all stupid things. I had never experienced a tire ballance have such a profound effect.

Unless it was something else that they fixed when they removed the wheels to ballance. Problem never came back.

like I said.... It sounds stupid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts