RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Range Sputtering and stalling slightly. Some power loss as well.

Hello All.. experiencing a few issues with my 2004 Range Rover. It seems to be sputtering when pressing the gas.. almost like a slight hesitation. This morning I noticed it sputtering even when in park. I dont seem to have as much power when driving as well. I am trying to narrow down what could be causing the issues. Here are a few things that have been done already:
I currently have 154K miles on the vehicle

1. Fuel Filter replaced @ 128K
2. Spark Plugs and Ignition Boots @126K
3. Air Cleaner Element - @126K
4. Engine Oil @150k

Engine light is on now.. had the code read and it came back P2A03 (02 sensor range performance bank 2 sensor 1, possible upstream 02 sensor and down stream bank 2 or air leak in catalyst bank 2). The previous owner had the catalytic converter replaced under warranty way before I bought the vehicle. Can that cause loss of power or hesitation?
Could it be a fuel pump? Would the range still sputter or stall when idled in park if it was a fuel pump issue? I bought the vehicle at about 95K and now Im @ 154K. I have never had an induction cleaning done. Could it be that and if so, is it best to have the dealer complete it? Im not a mechanic by any means but wanted to see what I could do myself. Sorry for writing a book.. just wanted to give as much detail as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2004 Range Sputtering and stalling slightly. Some power loss as well.

Update: I went out to crank the vehicle again and let it run. After about 30 seconds the car sputtered and the lights on the dash dimmed. It continued to do that even once I started driving and was sitting in traffice. I also forgot to mention that I had the water pump replaced about 10k miles ago as well. Some info that Im reading was possibly pointing to the fuel pump, which Im not sure if it has ever been changed. Definitely not since I have had the vehicle. There is also the possibility of the alternator as well. Geezzz... any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts

You can test the alternator, battery and cables by following the electrical stickie above. Fuel pressure can be tested at the schrader valve but it is not all uncommon to have fuel pump issues by this age and mileage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I went up to autozone to have the battery and alternator tested. They checked out fine. Car is still stalling like it wants to cut off so I will get it to the shop this morning. If it was a alternator or a fuel pump issue would I get any indication on the dash? Thought about running some Seafoam through the gas tank but didnt want to do that if I was gonna need to take it right to the shop.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

Ours does not stall out but bogs off idle periodically. Try the dimmer forum bog off idle thread. Tons of reading. Maybe something will trigger an idea for you. The thread covers many engine types and ages so take that in account but I have not found any other substantive info. My latest musing is wondering if the ring that the crank position sensor uses to pick up engine timing is contaminated and intermittently affects the way the engine runs-similar to when the ring for the anti lock brakes was affected by a loose wheel bearing (ON My Van) and made the antilock come on without reason. would appreciate hearing what the issue is when found

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,945 Posts

try replacing the fuel filter its just in front of the LR wheel on the bottom of the truck look for a small panel held with 2 bolts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts

I'd start with a new fuel filter, and clean the throttle body. Does the truck run any different if you unplug the MAF sensor?

·
Registered
327 Posts

You can test the alternator, battery and cables by following the electrical stickie above. Fuel pressure can be tested at the schrader valve but it is not all uncommon to have fuel pump issues by this age and mileage.
This seems like what happened to mine a few months ago. Definitely check the schrader valve if nothing spurt comes out chances are that it is the fuel pump. Do not buy it from a dealer for you will pay close to $1K I purchased mine from BUYAUTOPARTS.com for $685.00 and had it delivered in a couple of days. This was an OEM item. you will also need the 2 "O" gaskets for the tank access ports they are about $14.00 each I got those from the "Stealer" :( no choice there. Although you might check Atlantic British too for the gaskets. The installation was $200.00.
Hope this takes care of your problem.
Regards
Lou

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any possibility that your injectors are loose or dirty? I had similar symptoms on my `04HSE, sputtering when accelerating, occasional hesitation at highway speeds, and a somewhat rough idle. It turned out that all the injector clips were installed reversed. All it took for the above symptoms was for one of them to come loose.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Would like to bring this thread forward and see if anyone has some new ideas or confirm some existing ones. I just completed a spark plug change and used the NGK plugs with the 4 ground points. The car had those installed when we bought it at 168klms. we are now at 251kms. I thought to change because a p0301 code came up (misfire on 1) and an 1175 code lambda? something. I had looked at the maf recently and it looked spotless, a recent fuel pump and filter and now the plugs. They all looked nearly identical and had some buildup on then but closer to green than brown or black-i really hope that is not antifreeze. the drivers side rear cylinder plug had a bit of oil in the spark plug well before I pulled the plug. All the coils had a minor amount of whitish powder at the end of the rubber boot but all looked clean and all had a 2004 mfg. date. I do think that there is some buildup after the throttle body and would appreciate any advice on cleaning it but wonder if the bog has anything to do with the drive by wire throttle control. If you mash the pedal it bogs, ease it and no issues and if you mash it it seems to show a blinking check engine light and after a couple of those the eng. light stayed on but my code reader did not pick up any set codes. I have been having a P0128 code which seems to be a too slow temp rise. Will be changing the temp sensor at the stat. I have changed the one at the rad. any observations, advise appreciated. rebuilt again tranny seems ok at the moment.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Update on poor running of our range. I moved the coil from #1 to #4 (thanks rrtoad for confirming firing order on our bmw engines) and the misfire code followed-thank goodness. Changed in the parking lot at my wifes workplace, cleared the misfire code and headed to my job site. All seems good and the tag along P1175 code has not come back-so far that is. I have seen something called "phantom coil" issues bandied about on the internet but no actual reading material have I found. So I wonder if the issue can be intermittent and the only way to check would be to replace and observe once the P301-308 code followed the coil. Of interest is that the cylinder missing under load did no favours to the trans as it made the car buck like the tranny was doing a heavy shift ands starting to fail-which it did recently. The coils were original to the car so wondering if more will start to fail. Might be a good topic on its own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts