RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened once a couple months ago and once today so it is very intermittent. The key turns normally, dash lights come on, but it doesn't engage the starter. I swapped out the starter relay (by the battery) and that didn't help. The gearshift indicator lights up on the dash and by the snifter as I move it through the gears. It also didn't turn over while in neutral. In order for me to start it after this happens, I leave the key in the start position and I apply 12 volts to one of the black wires running to the starter rely. I have since started it normally with the key at least ten times today as if there is not a problem. I don't want to throw a $500-800 (xyz switch/ start inhibitor switch/ neutral safety switch) at it not know if this is actually the problem. I found a few threads on this but nothing that is definitive. Has anyone had luck opening up their switch and cleaning/rebuilding it? I would think the switch is working fine if it is lighting up the gear indicators??? I have no codes/ check engine light.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check to make sure you are getting power at the starter. If you are but the starter isn't engaging than the starter is bad. Also there is a control module in the steering column that can go bad, I believe it is for the steering column lock but I would have to double check on that. If the engine starts after removing and re-installing fuse 18 in the fuse panel in the glove box or by unplugging the steering column control module and plugging it back in than you have a problem with that control module. See the link for more details on checking the steering column control module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_nj4Xscxto&t=190s

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
You can disassemble the inhibitor/gear position switch to clean it (just drill out the seven rivets and either rivet or bolt it back together again afterwards) but if the PRND lights on the instrument panel are lit up, and correspond with the gear position selected, then it’s unlikely to be the switch at fault. Usually the controller detects any issue with the switch and flags TRANS FAILSAFE PROG and stores a P0705 code.

Phil

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. Yes - the gear indicator lights are working so I guess it is not worth taking apart the inhibitor switch. I am also familiar with the electronics in the steering column because I swapped that out a year ago when my key wouldn't turn in the ignition. So, any other suggestions? I guess I can see if there is power at the starter when it doesn't work - but I am almost positive that there is not because when I apply outside 12V to the relay, the starter starts the vehicle. Something is not getting power to the starter relay. And, the fact that it is very intermittent makes it even harder to figure out - it makes it so that I don't trust driving it and I have to drive with a jumper wire onboard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts