RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 range with 102,000 miles.the problem i am having is the truck idles very rough.the error message comes up trans failsafe and also engine failsafe.the check engine light is on also.put the truck in drive and i cannot go no faster than 10 mph.even if i press on the gas it does nothing.also the truck will occassionally shut down and need to be restarted again.the idle just skips up and down.any help or advice is much appreciated.my extended warranty has expired and im screwed.thanks
steve c

·
Registered
285 Posts
Steve,

Your vehicle has gone into "safe" mode to avoid blowing up. :hand:

Take it to an authorised Range Rover garage and have them diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Agree...the only good advice at this point it to take it in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys will have it towed to the dealer,will keep everyone posted after they diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I also have a BMW 745 and this issue a lot of times has to do with the charging system. My bet is bad battery and/or alternator.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just got home after going to pick up my 2004 range rover from a independent mechanic who works on land rovers.the proble my truck was having was due to a faulty wiring harness that connects to the main engine computer.the reason why the harness went bad was due to the thermostat going bad.when i got the phone call from the mechanic he told me the problem and what it would cost to fix.the harness costs $1900.00 at the dealer.the main engine computer costs $1300.00.my computer was fine and didnt need to be changed.he ended up getting a used harness for $500.00.the thermostat cost me another $150.00.the total job with labor costs $1238.00.i have owned plenty of cars and suv in my life and nevr heard of a harnness going bad.only in a range rover do these problems exist.thanks again guys for the help
steve c

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dad's 2001 BMW 740i had a similar problem. The coolant temp sensor was leaking coolant into the harness (no external evidence of a leak) and would move by capillary action all the way to the ecm connector. The car would start running rough or shut off completely and there would be corrosion evident in the ECM connector. Took a few times to finally figure out how it was happening.

·
Registered
293 Posts
no part numbers on your receipt?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My guess would be the alternator... Mine did this when the Alternator failed and the battery was drained.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Don't feel so bad, my harness went as well. At least I was (and still am) under warranty, so it was replaced, but yes, I was very surprised it went. But then again, what hasn't gone wrong on my 2004.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts