RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the site and just recently got my first range rover. Any help would be much appreciated!

I am looking to upgrade from the stock sat/nav screen. I have read several threads about installation but moreso looking for suggestions on what type of units I should look for. I have read about the Eonon 7" unit, the Dynavin, and the Pioneer NEX, any other suggestions or links for compatible units?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too am new to this site with a newly purchased 2004 Range Rover L322 looking to upgrade my stereo. I normally use Crutchfield for my car stereo upgrades, but they don't have any information on Range Rovers. I will never buy a system with built in navigation, my Infiniti, Mercedes and Ford truck all came with factory nav and I won't spend $200 each year to upgrade to the latest DVD every year.

Does yours have the Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 system? Mine does and it actually sounds pretty decent with 14 year old speakers. I think for now I'll keep the factory amp and speakers and just upgrade the head unit with an Android device. I've had a proprietary Kenwood system before, and they dropped all support.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought the GA9201A (with extension cable assy A0577) from Eonon. Total cost with shipping was $409.

I hope to install in the next couple weeks. I'll lose the analog clock, can't recall the last time I actually read it so I don't think I'll miss it. There's a Youtube video out there on a prior model (android version 6), it looks like it installs well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScLS-iv_LE

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
I won't spend $200 each year to upgrade to the latest DVD every year.
Map updates are not created by the manufacturers of the cars. Maps are produced by a couple of large mapping companies and offered to car makers under contract and licensing.

Map updates are not available every year either... never have been. Map updates average out to every 2 or 3 years.

DVDs have not been used by mapping companies for quite awhile. LR ditched DVDs then had a brief period of direct to harddrive updates. They then followed industry standard of USB updates. Yes there are also some over the air update car companies out there but it is not a standard yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just bought the GA9201A (with extension cable assy A0577) from Eonon. Total cost with shipping was $409.
That looks like an awesome unit! I really like the fact that they have the extension cable that's plug and play. It hits all my desires, hands free and streaming Bluetooth, backup camera, dash camera, steering wheel control interface, Android 8.0... You'll have to update this thread when you've installed the unit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll try to get some photos and details. I'm curious how difficult it will be to hide the cable assembly... I hope it's all plug and play. I've been emailing back and forth with the customer service and they said they couldn't guarantee it would work 100%, but I'm hopeful. Worst case... I'll have to buy a BMW to put my stereo in... :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Physically it's in. Electrically I have some work to do. I think I bought the wrong wiring harness. I ordered another and will look through Rave to see if I can figure it out. I also contacted them so we will see. I also have the Logic 7 system. I have some learning to do...

I had to do some manipulation to get this to fit physically... not hard. I have some photos if anyone needs them.

0420181703b.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the update. I also own a 2004 L322 with the Logic 7 system. I am also looking to upgrade to the Eonon GA9201A. Did you get the system working? Did you need the A0579 extended harness instead of the A0577?

I would really appreciate any advice you have installing the system. Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks for this -- perfect. Let us know how the electrical stage goes! Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Finished the install today. Wasn't hard because the A0577 cable worked fine. Also, all my speakers work and the sound is great! I have the logic 7 system and I'm not sure if the amps are working, but it's so LOUD I can't imagine they aren't working. I hooked up the OBDII Bluetooth dongle and the Torque works perfect. I put some songs on a microSD and they sound great. Turned my phone into a hotspot... steering controls work by default. I did have to change bootup logo from BMW to Land Rover, the Land Rover logo is already built in... settings->additional car setting->enter password "8888" -> change logo... or put on a custom logo from you SD card. All the controls on the dashboard still works, like miles to empty. I don't think the analog clock will work, but I didn't unplug my battery when I installed everything so it's still set fine. I installed Sygic, which supports offline maps and the included GPS sensor. Overall, if you are not trying to maintain the original feel, I highly recommend this update.
Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG Slide5.JPG

·
Registered
49 Posts
rattler1975, thank you for the great detailed write up. Let us know your thoughts after you've used it for awhile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rattler1975 thank you for this write-up. I also own a 2004 L322 (for about two weeks now) and I was hoping for a stereo upgrade, but most of my search results came up with negative reviews with the aftermarket radios offered by other companies (only 4 speakers work after the upgrade) so I was skeptical. Your write up answered all of my questions and will probably save me hours in installation "figure this out" guess-work. I'm going to purchase one soon, thank you so much!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quick update. Stereo still running fine. Happy with the upgrade. If I was any negative thing, the screen is somewhat hard to see on sunny days when trying to navigate via GPS. There is a glare. Other than that still a solid buy and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi there...still happy with your Eonon upgrade? I saw your write up and video (nice job!) but apparently, Eonon no longer carry the same model number you purchased. Any idea if their newer model works the same?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm in the process of finishing up my Eonon GA9301B (A0582 wiring harness) install. Everything works great, I also installed a backup camera with mine and got it working too, had to excite a wire on the CanBus adapter to get it to work correctly but not a big deal. I wasn't happy with the built in AM/FM antenna and the separate WiFi and GPS antennas so I bought a shark fin antenna that has AM/FM, WiFi, GPS and LTE antennas. Haven't decided on which LTE booster (amplifier) to use yet but it will go where the old CD changer was. Also adding a 12v USB hub so I don't have to use the 2 loose USB adapters.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
12 Participants
Artiz
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing