RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, love the forum and have read it up and down over the last 4 weeks, it is great. Really been researching this issue and I am hoping I could get some insight.

I was driving my 2004 Range Rover HSE (130k) miles about a month ago, stopped at a light, and the engine just stopped. Tried starting it again and the engine wouldn't crank over. When I popped the hood (bonnet for you in the UK) I notices some smoke from the left side and there was a burning small. My first thought was it was the starter as I was trying to start it back up, but why did the engine die. Got it towed to a mechanic and once it was towed to the garage, oil start coming out from where the dipstick metal tube enters the bottom of the engine. There seemed to be a pressure build up pushing oil out. After a week or so, it stopped leaking oil. Strange. After research, I was thinking that there was an issue with the PCV valve. There is still plenty of oil in the engine and there were never any error codes or check engine lights on prior to the engine stopping. Not overheating. Nothing. A few time the light went on when driving it around and the engine was sputtering a bit, but then went away. So, given that my mechanic said the engine was seized, I decided I had to do some research before I did anything given the cost vs the value of the car.

I had it towed to my house and started reading the forum and checking out the car. Here is a list of things I have done or have questions about:

1- I was able to manually crank the engine over. When facing the car, I can crank it clockwise. Only clockwise. I removed the spark plugs and it was easier to crank. Still, only clockwise. Changed the plugs.

2- After a month of the car sitting, the battery was dead. Not only that, it wouldn't take a charge and it was 6 months old. I replaced it with a new battery. Also checked all the wiring, seemed fine.

3- Removed the PCV valve, there was a bit of oil inside. I am going to replace it. What else around the PCV should I replace, pipes/tubes, etc.

4- When I try to start the car, everything seems normal. When I turn the ignition, there is a loud click, the lights and power go dim, and then nothing. I would say sometimes a loud click/thud.

I have removed the starter in hopes of that being the issue, don't have the new one yet. Since I have the starter off, I have limited access to the flywheel. Is there a way to test to see if it moves, and what would I need to do?

So, any insight would be great. I am hoping that if I can manually crank the engine, it must be something else given that the engine just stopped and nothing else happened.

Please give me any insight. I am not a mechanic, and have been doing all this through research on the forum and Youtube videos. I just need to spend the least amount on this car or just part it out if it is a blown engine, so please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody? If I can hand crank clockwise when facing the engine, does that mean the engine isn't seized?

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
If your engine were seized it wouldn't move at all. Have you tested your starter? Did you test any of the wiring associated with the starter? Did you test your cables and clean your grounds?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for commenting. Really appreciate it. I have checked the wiring, relays, and everything seems to be fine. Decided that I would go ahead a change the starter regardless, so just waiting for the part. Just wanted to get some input as I didn't want to do too much work if the engine was seized, but I had a feeling that it was something else. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
based on your info you have a loose wire either positive or ground ,
so you have to check every connection ,
starting at the battery, I would also try to turn the teminals as the clamping ability of the terminals is suspect ,
also be advised the BMW pyro connector on the positive terminal could have come free of its anchor if this happens ,
you will still have power to the interior of the truck but it wont crank..
NOTE there are a few POSitive connections that could be loose at the firewall and then the back of the engine and then the alternator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts