RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I bought a 2004 range rover she which was sitting for a year. I put a new battery in the cars and it started right up I locked the car from the inside and went in for the night. The next morning I went to unlock it with the key fob and it didn't work. I used the key to unlock the door and the alarm started going off and would not stop. I unplugged the battery to get it to stop. When I plugged the battery back up the alarm still goes off. I reset the eco and the alarm stopped now everything works but the car will not crank

Registered
How did you reset the ecu?

Registered
Okay. When you insert the key, it turns but the starter does not engage and there is no crank sound at all? If the answer is yes then you likely immobilised the engine. It will need a diagnostic tool to resync the ews 3d immobiliser to the main ecu so that the ecu allows the starter for cranking and engine turnover. You have a diag tool?

Registered
Unfortunately, no. Replacing the main ecu will not fix it. Because you would need to program the new ecu to your vehicle and still have to resync that ecu to the immobiliser so that is more work than needed. Get yourself a diag tool because it will pay for itself with all the troubleshooting. Or get the dealership to do the work which is very expensive for simple things like this that would only take 10min to do if you had a diag tool.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Sterling Heights, mi I got a ob2 tool now. If I get a new key made which is $129 by the locksmith and programmed to my truck and unlock the truck using it will that fix the issue?

Registered
Imagine someone tried breaking into your vehicle to steal it. They triggered the alarm and got inside. They disconnected the battery and then reconnected it in order to get pass the lousy alarm. If this is all it takes to get pass the security features and steal it, who would buy a Range Rover? Back to your story, your main ecu is likely immobilized. Your current issue is between the main ecu and the ews immobilizer and getting them to communicate to each other about the security state of your vehicle. After you previously triggered the alarm but did not correctly disactivated it, one of the modules goes into lockdown thinking the vehicle is being stolen. Getting new keys made is not going to get you anywhere. A regular ob2 will not work. There are dedicated diag tool out there. If I was closer I would have lend you a hand.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info can I just take my title to the dealer and get the eka code? I don't have any books with my range rover

Registered
Yes a dealership should be able to provide the eka code. Although I am not certain that the L322s have an eka code. When you put your key/keyfob inside the ignition without turning it, do you hear a click in the steering wheel column? Just trying to confirm that at least the immobilizer has awareness of the correct keyfob being present.

Registered
You should at least have power to accessories even in lockdown. Let's start off by making sure you have a strong battery and no play in your cables.

Registered
Will removing fuse 18, waiting 30secs, replacing it work? I think my immobilizer needs to be reset or something. I have to disconnect the battery or reset fuse 18 everytime I shut the car off and remove the key. I hear no chime, or steering lock noise (it's stuck open).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Registered
Will removing fuse 18, waiting 30secs, replacing it work? I think my immobilizer needs to be reset or something. I have to disconnect the battery or reset fuse 18 everytime I shut the car off and remove the key. I hear no chime, or steering lock noise (it's stuck open).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
You need a new steering column for sure. Classic case of steering lock mechanism failure. Once you shut off the vehicle, remove the key, and turn the steering wheel left or right, does it lock up?

Registered
You need a new steering column for sure. Classic case of steering lock mechanism failure. Once you shut off the vehicle, remove the key, and turn the steering wheel left or right, does it lock up?
It doesn't lock. That sucks. I was hoping it was some kind of computer issue. I guess I'm lucky it's stuck in the unlock position. Gotta do the toggle switch hookup.

Could this hookup be used for the remaining life of the vehicle or am I gonna wake up one day to a locked steering column? Definitely not playing $6,000 to get it replaced, I do love my truck tho.

Registered
It doesn't lock. That sucks. I was hoping it was some kind of computer issue. I guess I'm lucky it's stuck in the unlock position. Gotta do the toggle switch hookup.

Could this hookup be used for the remaining life of the vehicle or am I gonna wake up one day to a locked steering column? Definitely not playing $6,000 to get it replaced, I do love my truck tho.
There is a handful of them on ebay backed with warranty. Replace it. Can't advise regarding the toggle switch as I am a proponent of keeping the RR original but ultimately it is your vehicle.

Registered
There is a handful of them on ebay backed with warranty. Replace it. Can't advise regarding the toggle switch as I am a proponent of keeping the RR original but ultimately it is your vehicle.
Just looked on eBay. There are plenty of them and reasonably priced too! I wish I was more mechanically inclined to take on this task. However, I have a personal mechanic that should be able to do it. I'll see how much he'd charge to install it.

Thanks Rovah!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
4 Participants
DCartisan
RangeRovers.net Forum
We鈥檙e a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing