RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -
I am new to the forum and really hope that I can get some help/ direction on an issue I am having with a 2004 Range Rover HSE i just purchased. When I bought it the air suspension was not functioning. I test drove and the transmission shifted great. I had to drive it home about 15 miles after that and after about 10-15 mins the transmission seemed to slip and then rev up before engaging. Then I get the Trans Failsafe Program message and it went into 5th gear. Needless to say I got the truck home and just figured it was the result of the faulty air suspension.

Well I started playing with the suspension and ended up jumping some pins with some help from this website (Thanks`)) and filled up the front airbags/ struts to find the front left one was leaking. I purchased a strut and airbag on Ebay and also the Allcom reader system. After installing the strut and clearing the codes, and voila the truck leveled out the suspension perfectly:-o. I drove the truck around for about 15 minutes and everything was perfect.. I then got my wife, as I bought the truck for her, to let her drive it. We drove for about 5 mins and everything was fine. We pulled into the driveway and I showed her how to lower the suspension. I then wanted to test to see if it would go back up automatically if we started driving. That is when the tranny started to not engage and then the truck went into Trans Failsafe Mode:oops:. I raised the suspension manually and still no good. I then went in and erased all the codes. It would start okay but then slip back into Trans Failsafe Mode.

The codes I was getting are in the attached log (hope I did it right)... I am hoping this is not a bad tranny, but don't see how it can be when it ran completely fine until it seems to warm up.

Sorry about the long winded dissertation. Just wanted to get everything covered. Any help ideas would be so greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Adam

View attachment Range Rover Diagnostics_22_5_2016.txt

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Hi Adam, and welcome to the forum.

The initial reading from the transfer box ECU indicated there’s a problem with the shift motor potentiometer (a common cause of the transmission failsafe message)

However, for subsequent readings it had disappeared. Are you able to select low range and shift back into high range again?

Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Phil -
Thanks for the welcome and the quick response. I did select low range when this starting occurring and it went into low range and then I was able to shift back to high range again.
Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Phil -
Thanks for the welcome and the quick response. I did select low range when this starting occurring and it went into low range and then I was able to shift back to high range again.
Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about multiple posts that are the same. Wasn't sure it went through. I drove the Rover again today. Ran and shifted perfectly for 10 minutes then the Service Engine light came on and the tranny began to slip and the engine revved up and then it banged into gear.. It then went into Trans Failsafe Mode again. I ran a diagnostic with Allcoms. The codes that came up are below
Thanks
Adam

Anti-Lock Brake System Fault Reading Complete...

0x8B 0x008B Transfer gearbox CAN error.

Petrol Engine Management Fault Reading Complete...

0x1D2 P0328 Knock sensor 1 circuit fault (bank 1).
0x187 P0000 Electronic throttle monitoring/self-test - control gain adaption error.
0x111 P0139 O2 sensor ageing fault, downstream bank 1.
0x117 P0159 O2 sensor ageing fault, downstream bank 2.
0x162 P0444 Purge valve output drive fault.
0x173 P0103 Air mass sensor fault.

Instrument Panel Module Fault Reading Complete...

0xBD 0x00BD EBV function fault received from ABS ECU.
0xEF 0x00EF No TXU1 received from Transfer Box ECU.
0x8D 0x008D Transmission Interface Bus fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone had this same issue where the transmission works perfectly shifting through gears for the first 10 -15 mins upon each startup and then it starts to slip and rev up and then bang into gear only to go into Trans Failsafe Mode? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One of my mechanics at work had a friend that worked at a Land Rover Dealership and based on the issues and codes he says it needs a new tranny... But following Phil's threads and wealth of knowledge and experience I dont think that the dealership mechanics are inclined to diagnose the actual transmission issues other than to say it needs to be replaced... Appreciate any assitance...
Adam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Phil. Thanks for getting back to me.. I assume that means replacement or rebuild is the only option, huh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts