RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Range Rover only runs great if I add Fuel System Cleaner at every fill up. When I do not add the fuel cleaner, the truck has some hesitation when idle. I use Chevron 93 gas (and have tried others). Is this a sign that I need to go to the dealer and get an induction cleaning. I have been testing this for a while. Is my pump going out?

·
Registered
335 Posts
My Range Rover only runs great if I add Fuel System Cleaner at every fill up. When I do not add the fuel cleaner, the truck has some hesitation when idle. I use Chevron 93 gas (and have tried others). Is this a sign that I need to go to the dealer and get an induction cleaning. I have been testing this for a while. Is my pump going out?
Could be that your pump is about to go, try Trechron with the next fill up. If your pump goes don't buy it at the dealer, this company sell the OEM one for $658.00 vs $1000.00 from the dealer. BUYAUTOPARTS.COM

Hope this helps
Lou

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problems seems to have gotten worst. I always use Techron with every fillup. I also had the Fuel filter replaced just to try that route first. I didnt use the Techron this time so I could test. The filter replacement didnt resolve the issue. When the truck is sitting idle, you can hear it hesitating. Today when I was driving, it was hesitating heavily. This has happened before, I took it it, fuel pressue check done and determine not fuel pump. At this point Im leaning towards just having the pump replaced. Can a bad fuel pump be tricky to detect?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Usually not. They fade out or completely fail, but rarely are they spotty. You can pick up a fuel pressure gauge and track the idle pressure for a couple weeks and see if it changes. Personally I doubt you would see a difference UNLESS it is low across the board. As we have no idea of mileage or service history it's kinda hard to go much further. Worn/tired plugs? A weak ignition would certainly perk up with thinner gas and additives from the "cleaner".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the response. the spark plugs are up to date and so is services and oil changes. This has been the problem I just cant figure out. And neither the dealer nor my local shop has been able to give me a answer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Driving today.. the truck is stuttering a bit. When It stutters, if I press the gas pedal harder it smooths out. I have already had the plugs changed about a year ago.. with the symptoms I have describe, would the spark plugs have anything to do with it? Just want to rule that out. The fact that the truck smooths out when Techron Gas treatment is added is what made me feel like it was teh fuel pump. Not sure if gas treatment would smooth out a spark plug issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the same symptoms over weekend. Engine stalled Sunday morning and I finally got it started after many tries. On way to shop Monday morning, it quit again. Towed to indy and later that day all was good with new fuel filter and pump. It sounds like your pump is failing. When it dies, you will be good and stuck wherever you are.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got this issue resolved. Turns out there was a cylinder misfire and one of the ignition coils needed to be replaced. As long as I have been trying to track and have my truck checked, I cant understand why this was never detected. The service engine light was on as it had triggered previously. Maybe this time it populated the correct error code and previously it didnt? Dont know but it is now resolved and truck is running smooth again! Just wanted to update you guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts