RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning folks:
I placing this out for thoughts, not to offend the purists, but to be practical. As my RR grows older I am sure that things will eventually start to fail despite my OCD preventive maintenance, that been said I have seen throughout my life dealing with cars that all kinds of engine swaps are done very cleanly and also messy. I saw a Mazda Miata with a 5lt 302 Ford engine that you would not be able to tell that a swap was done until the owner started the car.

I am considering two options a Chevy 350 or a Ford 5lt engine, both with transmission included. The issues start when you try to match the wiring so that all systems a basically functional and be able to pair up with the existent instrumentation. I know it will not be cheap but I do live the RR ride and looks. I do hate the fact that not too many people are eager to repair them and those that do will see you as a $$ sign. Availability and price of parts is another bone of contention, Atlantic British is quite reasonable, however they don't always have it all.

Any thoughts? once again I do apologize ahead to the purists.
Regards
Lou, II

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
You are most likely going to need not only the transmission but the matching transfer case as well. It's in no way going to be easy to install a foreign drive train and still have fully operational accessories like A/C, cruise control etc.

You might have a read through Martin's GM Ls implant in a P38. Now I realize it not an L322, but it shows the same issues that you can run into, custom manufacturing of parts etc. It might be a good idea to check out some BMW sites to see what kind of transplants they have done on 5 and 7 series sedans and X5 SUV.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are most likely going to need not only the transmission but the matching transfer case as well. It's in no way going to be easy to install a foreign drive train and still have fully operational accessories like A/C, cruise control etc.

You might have a read through Martin's GM Ls implant in a P38. Now I realize it not an L322, but it shows the same issues that you can run into, custom manufacturing of parts etc. It might be a good idea to check out some BMW sites to see what kind of transplants they have done on 5 and 7 series sedans and X5 SUV.
Oh I realize it will not be a bolt on installation, but probably not impossible, albeit, pricey. I will check on your suggestion.
Thanks
Lou, II

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bad idea.

you will never get everything to work ever again.

Al the ecm are tied together and rely on feedback from sensors, engine, etc... Even your instrument cluster.

then, you're talking, fuel pumps and mechanical components .

a wiser choice would be to pick up a write off as a donor and have all the parts you need.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
Buy a new truck - it will be cheaper. If you really want to keep the RR then buy a junked Jag engine version and move everything over.

In the end - unless you do all the labor yourself and score a Jag engine RR where you can move everything over - it will be way cheaper to just keep fixing the 2004.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts