RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Range Rover HSE. It has 45,000 miles, always garage kept and never taken off road. The front of the radiator / AC condenser is very clean. The expansion tank and coolant was replaced at 41,475 miles at the Land Rover dealership in FL. The coolant looks brand new. While driving down the highway or sitting at a red light - AC on or off the temp is 225 -229 degrees. The temperature gauge is in the middle. Never any signs of it over heating. The only reason I knew it was running 225-229 degree's is that I hooked my Scan Gauge 2 up to it. I wanted to make sure I was getting a correct reading so I hooked up my Actron CP9180 and got the same reading.

I really do not like to see the coolant temp that high. I would like to see around 185-200 degrees. I have asked 2 different places a Land Rover Dealership and Atlantic British. These are there responses below.

Land Rover Dealership:

The tech said 225 is normal temp as they have a 105 degree Celsius (221) tstat.

Meaning it opens at that temp and will maintain it like it was designed. Fans come on at 231 degrees. They are electric in the fact that if you go full throttle when cold the sensor heats up tstat to open.

He said that the coolant pressure is 31 pounds. Which is abnormally high but what it was designed for. Unless you found A low temp tstat even a brand new one will operate the same.

Atlantic British:

I went into the factory service manual to review coolant temps for your vehicle. According to the manual the t-stat opens at 217F. At the sensor (after coolant has run through engine) temp would be at 230F. The ECM controls the t-stat to maintain 176-217F depending on engine load.

My question: Is there a way to reprogram the ECM to have the t-stat open sooner? Or any other ideas?

Thanks,

David​

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Re: 2004 Range Rover HSE Coolant Temperture 225-229 degrees???

Search the forum as that topic has been beaten to death... For every person that comes in saying they lowered the temp, this is another person that explains why its counter productive. I never bothered to mess with it and my 2004 went to 170,000 miles before I sold it. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts

check out doing the M60 mod you will need to buy a new water pump and M60 thermostat

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

welcome to the site and thanks for the detailed description you provided. There is a post by ghur which gives the part number for a plug and play thermostat. it is from an older bmw diesel motor. It looks exactly like ours except there is no solenoid in it so the electrical connector that plugs into the original is not used. If you can still get one from Germany, order thru a BMW outlet-even though the parts man said it was discontinued it showed that some were left and it actually came to toronto. Part was 175$ Cdn. The install is straight forward, temp display is exactly the same but the temp is what you are asking for and we have driven at least 5,000 miles with no obvious issues. The benefit has been a non repeat of the trans overheat message and loss of 3 4 5th gear until allowed to cool. I now have a new trans cooler ready to go in along with a new cooler manifold and the proper fluid-just waiting for this 0-5 degrees F weather to let up. I know this is a similar scenario to the P38 where adding the special rad fluid was supposed to keep the engine running cooler-some used it-most did not-we did not and never had an overheat issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank You all for the info. I might just leave it along. I just never had a car truck etc that runs that high a temp.

Thanks Again,

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts