RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

back to the RR game after a few month in german pepper :(

Everything was fine (minus a fuel pump, coil replacement, flat, broken jack etc...), but now we are in freezing temps, my door handle is freezing everynight.
Basically in the morning (when below freezing) the door hanlde opens the door but I cant lock it back.
I can get in the car, then I need to pull the door from the inside then lock it from the inside and pull it again in place for it to be closed tight.
After that I can't unlock the drivers door (from the insde or outside):S
Door latch won't come back to original position, it's like stuck on the open position.

After a few miles (20-30) and heat (???) I can unlock the door from the inside/outside and the door is usually working fine all day.

Any idea what could be stuck? cable or spring mechanism??

Wifey is now using the car in the mornings and I believe she doesn't really enjoy the gymnastic to use the passenger door everyday in the cold to get in/out of the car LOL

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
45 Posts
Hi there, I had this on mine. Problem caused by water in the door handle cables which can be solved by removing door cards and spraying silicone-based lubricant down the cables.

Best
Darrel

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
494 Posts
Yup that is the trick! Had (have occasionally) same recurring issue on mine mostly after car wash and it is below -10C. The warming up will always free the cables as it takes so little to freeze them. The only other solution if it persists is to park indoors once it is unfrozen. Alternatively you can replace the door latch with new on one for couple hundred (again if it persists). Spraying worked on mine but it came back after a couple years. I am beginning to dislike winters more and more as I get older... :mad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts