Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Range Rover coolant leaking after replacing reserve tank

Recently replace coolant reserve tank on 2004 Range Rover. No leaks after the replacement. 2 weeks or so later, coolant leaking again. When I replaced the tank, the Rover tech told me that I should replace the radiator tank at the same. Is this normally the case? I cant tell where the leak is coming from now but its definitely not the reserve tank.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 2004 Range Rover coolant leaking after replacing reserve tank

**correction** Range rover tech told me its best to replace rediator itself at the same time that I replaced the reserve tank. Could my replacing the coolant reserve tank have caused issues with the radiator itself?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

**correction** Range rover tech told me its best to replace rediator itself at the same time that I replaced the reserve tank. Could my replacing the coolant reserve tank have caused issues with the radiator itself?
I'm assuming you replaced the reservoir because it burst? Was the car overheating at the time? Those tanks burst on their own regardless of there being a definitive cause. As far as the radiator goes in my opinion don't replace it if it isn't leaking. As for the rest of the hoses if the car ever overheated replace them all, if they're original replace them all. Otherwise just replace the tank for now, if you lose a hose down the road replace them all at the same time. I'd replace at least the one on the back side of the engine just in-case, that one is an incredibly weak, it's $18 bux, and if you're replacing the tank, might as well just do that at the same time, takes 10 min. If you lose a hose it really is best to buy the complete hose kit from roverparts and spend an afternoon replacing them all, once one goes it's just a matter of time before another pops, then another, etc.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,067 Posts

get a tube of Dow Corning 111 use it on all of the O rings inside each hose connection.
This will keep the O rings soft thus they will seal better for longer.

take some 1000 grit paper and sand down the nipples on each new hose connection,
sometimes the flashing is enough to cause the O rings to leak, make the surfaces smooth.

The reason the tanks have issues is because of the elevated running temperatures, this increases the running pressures of the cooling system

You might consider the M60 thermostat mod this will lower the running temperature of the whole drive line to 185F

1 - 4 of 4 Posts