RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2004 gauge cluster there's two rows at the bottom. The lower is the message center, and the top row is for Vehicle Odometer, Trip Odometer, and Exterior Temperature. That top row was illuminated the other night while driving, although one side was dimmer than the other. That's the only night the lighting has worked for that row in 18 months of ownership, now dark again. All the LCD readouts work fine day and night, only the nighttime illumination is inoperative for that row, and the dimmer knob does not resolve it. The illumination for all other gauges is OK.

Admittedly this is a minor issue when compared to broken transfer cases and such, but I thought I'd ask if this was a common issue with a straightforward fix. Thanks.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,405 Posts
Something I wrote last week:

Getting the instrument binnacle out is a little time consuming but there are YouTube videos which are a great help, e.g.,

Getting the side vents out was the hardest bit. Be careful you don't drop the cupholder screw. Ask me how I know. I had to use a long magnetic rod to find it.
You might want to replace the footwell bulbs while the end sections are out. If you uses LEDs get quality ones. Half of the cheap Chinese ones I bought have failed.

Once you have the ends off, the rest is pretty easy.

Unless you are doing the radio pixel repair (assuming the car has got the standard radio, not the navigation system) there's no need to remove it

At about the 30 second mark in this video you can see the bulb holders (the whitish things along the bottom of the binnacle. A quarter turn anticlockwise will see them come out. (No need to strip down the binnacle unless you are replacing the ribbon cable because of missing pixels in the digital displays).

I'd replace all the bulbs..They should last for years.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, P38arover. Good stuff there! I assumed it was a basic bulb/LED issue, but wondered if there was a known Plan B cause such as a connector that tends to vibrates loose, etc. I'll study your videos in detail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts