RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Does anyone know whether it is possible to test the wiring for the front cross link valve?
If it is possible how would you do it? do I have to remove the suspension ECU and check the plug pins and to the cross link valve?

Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't think the front has a cross link valve on an '04.

On my 2004 I did not have one - everything was there for it, but it was not there. After some reading I learned the RR did not come with one.

Are we talking about the valve that is suppose to be located on the passenger side front behind the plastic wheel liner?

My bet would be you have to turn it on via the computer - maybe send an email to RSW Solutions and ask Storey.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,167 Posts
The 02-05 electrical supplement manual says there are 2 cross link valves.

Cross Link Valves
The cross link valves connect the height sensors in pairs, front and rear. When air is required to flow between the two rear height sensors, the air suspension ECU (C2030) provides a feed to the rear cross link valve (C2033) on a UR wire. The air suspension ECU provides an earth path for the cross link valve on a UP wire. When air is required to flow between the two front height sensors, the air suspension ECU (C2030) provides a feed to the front cross link valve (C2032) on a UN wire. The air suspension ECU provides an earth path for the cross link valve on a WU wire.

The specs in the service manual says there are two;

02-05 air susp specs.jpg 02-05 air susp parts.jpg

Without the cross link valves the air bags just float on the pressure in the lines, the dynamic suspension control no longer works. The cross link valves contain both the valves that let the air in and out of the individual air bags that work with the dynamic suspension system, but the cross connect valve that keeps the pressure equalized and the height even when the truck isn't going into a turn, or leaning to one side or the other on a trail.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Both my 04 and 05 don't have it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info folks, much appreciated
Yes they are the valves located under the right wheel arches, however being a right hand drive I don't have the battery acid problem as that's on the left hand side
The diagrams from Mark C show what I can only assume is the newer version of the valve, whether the wiring and plumbing are the same I don't know, although I think that the older version just has a solenoid valve to connect the two sides together otherwise the air just flows through either side of the valve to the respective airbag
However, my problem is that the computer thinks they are the valves are there (as the rear one was) so throws a hissy fit when we go off road and shuts the air suspension off. Thought I had cleared it by fitting a new front valve but have got a different message which I thought was probably the rear one but may be the wiring to the front cross link valve. I really need to try and test the wiring otherwise I'm a bit in the dark (although that's not unusual)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Two thoughts here.

First, your problem is not the cross-link - you have some other issue causing the code. You will have to look through RAVE at how the system works to trouble shoot.

Second, it may be possible to program the computer to accept the front cross-link. If the RR originally came with it I would assume there must be a setting to turn it on. I have no idea how this would be done - hence telling you to reach out to Storey at RSW - or maybe someone with the more powerful RR computer could tell you if it is possible. Asking a RR dealer or specialty shop may give some insight. The problem here, assuming it can be done, is that if your issue is the "First" one you still have the problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kg74, well aware of this and am wading my way through rave, think it must be something in the computer that's causing it, strange how it's gone from mentioning the front cross link valve to a more generic no power to cross link valve. I will continue my research and see if I can fix it, trouble is the Stealer's a long long way away. Was really hoping for a smoking gun or a silver bullet, but of course it's a Range Rover so that isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Were it me - I would set it back to stock - or at least disconnect the front cross link electronics (assuming it functions correctly non-operational). At this point I would start disconnecting any sensor in the system and see if you get a fault code. If you get a code you can exclude it from a possible cause.

I have had luck trouble shooting with this targeted "shot gun" approach when sensors are interconnected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts