RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I started getting a strange noise from underneath the car over the past week. When I am stationary and release the brake the noise starts, if I tap the brake the noise stops most of the time. If it doesn't I can keep tapping until eventually it goes. The ride of the car is fine and I don't have any error codes or lights on the dash. The noise is not a grinding noise, more of a rubbing.

I took it to the dealer and they are telling me that the ABS pump seems to be continuously running and they need to replace the ABS modulator assembly. I believe the assembly contains a pump, the valves, and the ECU. They have said that the sensors must be good as there are no lights or codes being shown on the dash.

Does this sound plausible? I just want to make sure before I shell out the $1600 to have it repaired!

Thanks

M

·
Registered
80 Posts
i recently put a new set of front pads on my truck (wagners) and started gettign an occasional moan from my front drivers side- i think its the outside pad laying on the rotor. It does not pull any what-so-ever so im not too concerned. That said i took it all back apart and inspected the pad, caliper and rotor and did not notice anything unusual. I did notice the bracket of the wagner pad was slighlty different than the OEM which i am blaming for the noise...

You did not recently have pad work done did you? An ABS sensor actuating would send a pulse through the peddle i believe...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

They checked all the brake pads and rotors and said everything was fine. I wouldn't know if there was a vibration in the pedal as I'm not pushing the brake pedal when this occurs, when I touch the pedal it stops. I haven't had any work done on the brakes for quite some time.

M

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
madas said:
Hello All,

I started getting a strange noise from underneath the car over the past week. When I am stationary and release the brake the noise starts, if I tap the brake the noise stops most of the time. If it doesn't I can keep tapping until eventually it goes. The ride of the car is fine and I don't have any error codes or lights on the dash. The noise is not a grinding noise, more of a rubbing.

I took it to the dealer and they are telling me that the ABS pump seems to be continuously running and they need to replace the ABS modulator assembly. I believe the assembly contains a pump, the valves, and the ECU. They have said that the sensors must be good as there are no lights or codes being shown on the dash.

Does this sound plausible? I just want to make sure before I shell out the $1600 to have it repaired!

Thanks

M
If there are no error lights that's strange... And to replace all of that will cost a fortune, it's likely a bad ground or a single component. I can't see the abs module causing a failure like that and not throwing a code. My booster pump was running all the time for a while, check the ground wire, it's a big bolt located where the booster pump and brake res is, in that compartment behind the strut tower. I cranked mine down and the pump started to function proper again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the pump stays on did you get an error code on the dash? I wonder if I can make my car produce the noise for more than a few minutes without shutting it off (in a parking lot)..would that generate whatever code just to prove it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts