Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Range Rover 4.4 V8 w/ 159k miles

This past weekend as i was about to leave my house, my car started having a weird tapping/knocking sound coming from the drivetrain. It seems to be coming from the bell housing area. I can hear a sound occasionally in park, but once i put it into reverse, its a constant knock. When in drive, the sound seems to go away. The sound will speed up with the engine revving in gear. I had my brother get in the car with me underneath so I could take a video, which is linked below. I have not driven the car outside of my driveway because I didn’t want to break down somewhere. It goes into each gear perfectly fine and moves as normal. Earlier that morning I drove for an hour and it wasn't doing anything, the noise came out of nowhere.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TsMu-EojKI

The first 9 seconds is in park, after that the car is in reverse and I'm trying to trace the sound, which is why the camera is all over the place. The end of the video is slight revving while in reverse. I'm not sure what would cause the loud noise when in reverse, but not as noticeable in drive or park.

I'm a bit puzzled since the sound is pretty much only when in reverse. No error codes or messages on dash; no other issues that i can tell. But, I have not driven it since the sound started.

I know most of the problems with these cars and the 5hp24 transmission; but have not come across this problem before. Just some background information on past repairs: Transmission was replaced in March 2017 after the axial bearing failed on my original transmission and damaged several components inside. I removed the transmission again in August 2019 when the remanufactured torque converter I bought went bad and had the typical lock up clutch failure symptoms. This time I got a torque converter from Eriksson industries. Both times the transmission was removed, I replaced the filter and used the correct Pentosin fluid. The car has been great and drove normal until this past weekend, April 2021.

Any help would be appreciated. If I have to remove the transmission again, so be it. But, I’d like to know what the issue could be and have the parts ready before i dig deeper.

Ryan

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,314 Posts
Sounds like a loose torque converter or flex plate bolt hitting something as it rotates. Maybe too long a bolt?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like a loose torque converter or flex plate bolt hitting something as it rotates. Maybe too long a bolt?
If that were the case, would it manifest only in reverse?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It sounds like maybe the transfer case chain to me.
Not too terribly uncommon unfortunately. My 2003's transfer case began slipping, oddly after I had the front right jacked-up to replace the air strut a couple of years ago. That's what inspired me to get my 2012 actually.
I need to get around to dropping my transfer case, tearing in to it & replacing the chain & probably bearings.
Or I could take it to the Aamco that rebuilt the transmission & transfer case on my 2012, and have them do it for an estimated $800, if I recall correctly.
You say it's constant - while driving in reverse? Including when you accelerate and decelerate alike?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
858 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years ago. I had the torque converter reconditioned and fitted a new input shaft bearing which fixed it. But I cant say for sure which of the 2 items caused the noise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was loose bolts, wouldn't the noise be constant and not only in reverse?

The noise seems to be coming in front of the transfer case, and the noise is there when the car is not moving.

Ghur, Was your noise there all the time or only when in a certain gear? If it was the input shaft bearing, i would think it would be making the same noise all the time. Also, yours sounds like a worn bearing, where my noise seems like a knock.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
858 Posts
Ghur, Was your noise there all the time or only when in a certain gear? If it was the input shaft bearing, i would think it would be making the same noise all the time. Also, yours sounds like a worn bearing, where my noise seems like a knock.
Unfortunately I cant remember exactly when the noise was present but most likely only heard it at idle due to other engine noises at higher RPM.

Your idle speed seems much higher than mine which may affect the noise but they sound very similar to me.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
Sure sounds like a loose bolt to me.
I had a similar experience with a noise levels me that in my inboard ski boat a few years ago..... Could not pinpoint where it was coming from until it finally let go - big end of number eight conrod straight thru the side of the block.
My advise to you is find it before it lets go and destroys something.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was out of town last week and was able to check into the car this weekend. It was a few loose torque converter bolts. 1 bolt was 3-4 turns out and 1 or 2 others needed a 1/4-1/2 turn. After tightening them all, the noise was no longer there and the Rover drove normal without noises.

I would have thought with loose bolts the noise would be there at idle as well as in gear; but putting it in reverse must have put the right amount of load on the torque converter to start making the noise.

I just wanted to thank you all and close out this thread with the solution.

Ryan.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for closing the discussion with the findings. That could potentially aid others.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts