Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 2 2003 Range Rovers, one that is Java black and the other Chawton White. The white one does not turn as easy or as smooth as the black one. Its not difficult to turn but it feels way heavier than the black one when parking, pulling off, or turning. Ive checked the power steering fluid, and there aren't any codes being thrown. Does anyone have any idea of what I may need to replace? Ive looked into the RSW All Comms tool, replacing the steering pump, servatronic valve or the BCU. Thanks for the help.!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any help? Just need to know where to start, I've narrowed down to certain things but am still lost. Steering is tough, not near as smooth as the other range.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Is this at all speeds?
Have you checked tire pressure?
Do all the other systems work fine, including (not limited to) rear and/or washer/wiper?
Search the forum for the servotronic (valve/system), I know I posted my results years ago tracking down a similar problem.
Look in RAVE and check the circuitry shared by the steering control circuits.

P.S., don't think the color makes a difference.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol yea I noticed the colors don't matter so I sold the black yesterday. I've looked into the servotronic valve and I know many people that changed this but still had hard steering. Is this the same as the power steering rack tranducer? I also know people that have changed the BCU, power steering pump, servotronic valve and the hard steering didn't go away but if they hooked it up to RSW all comms tool and put the settings on 2005 pre factory settings, then they would have power steering but only for about a week until they hooked up all comms again. Everything works fine, tire pressure is fine, the steering wheel is stuff at slow speeds and when trying to park.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
145 Posts
Have you checked the fuses in the passenger compartment? I had heavy steering once after fiddling around with my radio fuse (Don't remember which one though, F8 or F49), I had inserted the fuse back into the slot next to it's correct position accidentally, because both radio fuses have an empty slot next to them. Check the positions of your fuses and make sure there are no fuses in the slots where there shouldn't be (F7, F14, F30, F36, F38, F4) . Easy check and worth a shot.

Also, are you the guy that called me about my face-lifted Rover? I just talked to a guy here in MO that had two Rovers and was interested in my truck and All Comms tool. Welcome to the forum, this place is great for a DIY Rover owner.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
887 Posts
Turn the wheel hard against the stop with the engine running. You should see the engine rpm dip momentarily, indicating the hydraulics are operating properly. If there is no dip when you hit the stop, the pump is likely weak.

If the engine rpm does dip, then the possibilities are the valve in the rack, or a bad speed signal so the car thinks it is traveling at speed. Some valves are naturally more or less stiff than others...so it may be normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect I will check the rpm's tomorrow.
Yes it is me.! Small world, how's your truck doing? I was a victim in a hit and run on the Super Bowl so I sold the black one the next day and the Broncos lost.. Terrible day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts