RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
In post 36, point #6 I made a suggestion to double check your trigger wheel. Did you skip this? In #4 I mentioned following the normal procedure - did you start with Bank #2? Hopefully you did because that slight slop could be the problem. Assuming you did.

Don't worry too much yet. I have received both of those codes, although never at the same time.

Unfortunately you will have to pull at least your valve covers, install the engine lock pin at the transmission, remove the oil lines on the head so you can install your timing blocks. Leave your upper timing covers on for now.

You should be able to do all of this and get the blocks on. They should fit with slight adjustment of the Cams, just like before. The timing blocks should be flush with the head, just like before. If all these are a check your problem is a small alignment of your trigger wheels on both sides. Again if all these check.

On Bank 1 and Bank 2 upper timing covers you will find a torx or allen key screw on each side. The screws should be directly across from the timing hole of the trigger wheels. Remove these and find an allen key or similar straight screw driver that fits through the hole (we will call it a "Probe"), but not too loosely. This Probe should pass through the upper timing cover and slide in the hole on the trigger wheel. Straight line.

Do this and report back. It may be just a matter of turning your trigger wheel a few degrees - that was my case. One time it was Bank 2, the other time was Bank 1. For each instance I was able to make it right with this technique.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I followed the instruction to the tee, everyone gave me good advise. I tried to incorporate all of it into the disassembly and reassembly, I also double checked everything before moving to the next step. I will try your suggestion on using a "probe" and see if that solves the problem. It was also mentioned to try swapping the vanos solenoid to see if that has any effect on the codes. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for a positive outcome. I got to tell you though, since the timing job the engine does run better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Success!!! My Rover is purring like a kitten. The engine runs great I just want to thank everyone for the guidance, I couldn't of done it without your help. Final feedback if you are planning to take on this task, just be remember you need to be patient and use the correct tools. The most important do not rush make sure your timing is correct, I would double check and triple check before moving to the next step. The strip down is not too bad (just time invasive) organize your parts (i used baggies) when reassembling it can get very confusing where each bolt goes, also make a template of the lower timing cover the bold's are all different sizes. Most importantly you will need the crankshaft holding tool to remove the "Jesus bolt" don't use the TDC pin (my stupid mistake) you will bend the flywheel and risk having to replace it which is a another major job. Feel free to reach out to myself if you have any questions, there's a lot of great resources on the forum as well. Again thanks for the help!

41 - 43 of 43 Posts