RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the radiator, thermostat, exspansion tank and cap, every hose possible ex. The truck runs excellent until I speed up to over 50 miles an hour. I can let idle and drive around town but as soon as I get on the highway the guage jumps up GRRRRRRRR. What could this be???? I'm pretty sure the air is out of the system. I just don't get it, any help would be much appreciated..thank you

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Also may want to check the catalytic converter... could be clogged/blocked causing excessive back pressure... or maybe even the fan, or belts, but since you only have problems at higher speeds, I don't know if belt slipping would be worse at speed...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
Also may want to check the catalytic converter... could be clogged/blocked causing excessive back pressure... or maybe even the fan, or belts, but since you only have problems at higher speeds, I don't know if belt slipping would be worse at speed...
Sounds much like a bad fan clutch. But it does also have an electric fan in front of the rad., not that I can say it would do the job if the fan clutch on the belt-driven fan was bad.
If you turn the fan by hand (motor off, of course) do you feel a healthy bit of drag? If not, it could be the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
03rangiemark said:
linuxfreakus said:
Sounds much like a bad fan clutch. But it does also have an electric fan in front of the rad., not that I can say it would do the job if the fan clutch on the belt-driven fan was bad.
If you turn the fan by hand (motor off, of course) do you feel a healthy bit of drag? If not, it could be the clutch.
With a bad fan you get overheating the other way round, when driving the air gets forced through the radiator so you don't rely on the fan, if you o/h whilst stuck in traffic its a bad fan...

D

·
Registered
58 Posts
water leaks ? thermostat again ?! waterpump? right coolant or did you mix wrong coolants and now the system has viscous fluid ? Any white pudding like parafin when you stick the finger in the expansian tank and scratch in the edges

oiltemeprature ? oilpump?

·
Registered
58 Posts
when the watersystem is overheating you should also have problems with the automatic gearbox ( not enough cooling with the inline oilcooler) when hot, try manual shifting mode and look if it works only until the third gear.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Are you actually overheating, or could it be the gauge malfunctioning.

Stewart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
when did your overheating problem start ?

Was it after replacing the thermostat etc or before?

If it was before - then you should run a test that you can get at a local parts store for side products of combustion in the coolant.

let us know when the overheating started and we'll help resolve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts