Range Rovers Forum banner

2003 L332 In Drive but standing still

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  listen 
#1 ·
Hello all, I hope you can help me, I am truelly perplexed by this one,... I have just paid enough to cover the failing economy of a third world country in having the engine totally rebuilt on my turbo diesel (turns out to be BMW engine) Rangie. Still running in, needs a full service in about 600ks from the rebuild. Today, after a freeway drive, no problems, easy constant speed, I came to a stop waiting for traffic, to turn into my street. It was still in drive, went to move off & it just sat there! No go, no warning, no noises. I turned it off, started it again & it went? Pulled into my driveway, put it into reverse & again, it just sat there? Once again, turn it off, start it up & it goes? It seams that I cannot go forward or back without shutting it down & starting again,... Any ideas please??

#2 ·
Hi listen and welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately the GM 5L40-E transmission in your TD6 has a poor reputation for reliability once the mileage gets over 80k miles or so. Your problem could (hopefully) just be electronic but the majority of issues with these transmissions relate to sticking/leaking hydraulic valves for which the root cause is wear in the valve block. One of the first things to try is to drain the transmission fluid to check it for metallic debris as the start of the process is often the torque converter lock-up clutch friction material being worn away, allowing metal-to-metal contact, with the resulting generated debris appearing like glitter in the fluid. Also, seeing if any fault codes had been logged by the transmission controller would be worthwhile.

Phil

#3 ·
Thank you Phil, I am really hoping it's something electronic, that sounds less expensive than something mechanical, as I said, I think I have, "over invested" in the car already... But if it is what you suspect, am I about to have to sell my first born? Thank you again.

#5 ·
I am really hoping it's something electronic, that sounds less expensive
Hope is something that you will end up losing when you own an 03-05 RR mate... I've learned to always expect the worse when things go wrong on mine. It usually doesn't end up being as bad as I expected...

However, ownership of these vehicles should not be taken on by the weak of heart and light in wallet - you really have to have passion for the brand (and a spare $5k in the bank!) to keep these things on the road.

#4 ·
Thanks Phil, Would you know if a regular Auto Transmission repairer would be able to fix this or is it something only a Range Rover dealer could do? I'm thinking from a parts perspective really, does it have to be genuine? Any idea, even just roughly, of what it might cost me? The usual mob I take it to say around $11k (Aus)!!!!! the cars just not worth that much..

#7 ·
A Range Rover dealer wouldn't have the first idea on repairing a transmission - they would simply replace it. The GM 5L40-E was used in other vehicles, for example the Holden Commodore, so you should hopefully be able to find local auto. transmission repairers with some experience of it.

Phil

#6 ·
the doc is right...my wife and I bought our like two months ago, and I've already spent about 4k already just trying to
get all the little issues fixed. these vehicles are not for the poor. always a good idea to keep a spare vehicle, like
something early obd2 with a 5 speed. then you know whatever the rover does you are always going to have
something dependable. that's horrible to say, but the god's honest truth...until I go through mine with a fine tooth, it
won't be a daily driver.

#8 ·
I'm a bit late with the reply guys, (I have just now managed to escape the paupers gulag!)
The Trans ended up being rebuilt, $5.6K. Add the Engine rebuild, $11.2K, 6 x new injectors, inj. pump, not just 1 but 2 x fuel pumps, I have honestly given up keeping score of the $'s I've thrown at the **** car! Now, I suspect the Turbo has gone, & on top of that, it has developed a suspension "clunking" sound on corners & speed humps, no doubt bushes somewhere, & no doubt probably perished from an oil leak, possibly new front diff seals required?... Fair Dinkum, this thing is going to send me round the bend & broke!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.