RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue came on suddenly when leaving a parking lot. I placed my foot on the gas and the transmission slipped (freewheeled) in 1st gear. The same happened in Manual mode a couple of days later after I was told that some have had luck bypassing the issue in a different sector of the gearbox.

I have since replaced the fluid which was in excellent condition and no filings in the pan or on the magnets. I replaced both of the speed sensors thinking that they might be the issue. I drove the RR about 9 miles before it skipped after this service. No change.

EAT = ZF 5HP24

My Foxwell Scanner shows the following:

P0730 - Incorrect Gear ratio
15 - Brake Light switch line short circuit to Ground
59- Transmission Emergency Program Fault
34 - Gear Monitor 2 Fault
3b - Stall Speed fault
0C - ECUEEPROM Fault
03 - Internal Control Module Fault
0f - Internal Control Module Fault
07 - Coding Checksum Error - Transmission Range Circuit Malfunction.
90 - Ignition sense incorrect
32 - CAN Bus fault - No Output Shaft Speed (OSS) signal
2A - Ignition voltage <7.5 volts
91 - Chime T2 fault
01 - Reset

I am not an expert at transmissions and have been told by the dealer that it is most likely the torque converter before they have looked at it. I was also told by a rebuilder of ZF that it could be the Clutch A. No-one wants to say electronic for some strange reason although most of the information says wiring harness, solenoids, pressure regulator valve or TCU.

I'd really appreciate some insight on this from a knowledgable RR tech type to look at this information and determine what might be the issue.

Thanks for your help in advance of taking it to the dealer as the only listed independent in New Hampshire is Amoskeag European which is no longer in business. The mechanic that serviced the vehicle for 40k +- miles now works for the dealer.

Please provide your input. THANKS!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update... I saved and cleared the list of faults. I then took the RR out for a spin. It drove fine for the first 5 miles. Here is the list of faults:
P0730 - Incorrect Gear Ratio
03- Internal control module fault35 - Gear Monitor 3 Fault...... instead of 34 - Gear Monitor 2 in the last list
59- Transmission Emergency Program Fault

Does anyone have any ideas as I have read too much and I'm confused as to what this all means.

BTW - There was alot of buzzing from the TCU/ECU box in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wandering fault codes continue. The only consistent fault code is 03 internal control module fault.

Here is the latest without erasing the previous faults and not driving the RR. Turned it to on position. Plugged in the Foxwell scanner

Under the OBDII
P0733 - Incorrect Gear 3 Ratio
Under the AT Module
03 - Internal control module fault
35 - Gear Monitor 3 Fault

In the Lighting Check Control Module
59 - Transmission Emergency Program

The parts manager at RR Dealer was the originator of the idea that the transfer case malfunction could be causing the wandering gear faults. One other thing - There is no communication to the Transfer Case Module from the Foxwell Scanner. It is in the list of modules but isn't communicating. This control module is located behind the battery. This is the area where the constant machine buzzing came from instead of the ECU/TCU box in the last post. I didn't know it was resident in that location.
It is my contention that this module has failed. I spoke to the service manager at the RR dealership where I purchased the RR. He said that is quite possible but would need to hook up the Testbook T4.

I will follow up after analyze the transfer case ECU. I will bet it is corroded and fried. Stay tuned>>>>>>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the codes today....
OBDII - No Faults
AT - 35 - Gear Monitor 3 Fault
Immobilizer - 03 - Internal Control Module Fault
Lighting Check Module - 59 Transmission Failsafe, 15 - Brake Light Switch Line Short Circuit to Ground
Still no Comms with Transfer Case Module
Is there anyone that knows what this all might mean

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
24 Posts
I sure hope you get some answers because I have the same issue with a 2004 I just purchased. Beautiful car only 120k mi but when warm I get the dreaded gear slip and slam into gear. It rolls perfectly through all the gears when warm. I have a P0730 and P0732 code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sending to to Land Rover of Bedford NH to have the codes read and test performed.

I will post when they finish.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I'm sure it's frustrating that you're not hearing anything back, but I haven't heard of transfer case control module problems, so maybe it's a rare failure. There are many transmission failures, but I imagine you've browsed through all of those.
I've never heard of noise coming from the transfer case ECU, but I did just replace the cooling fan in my TCU/ECU box about a week ago when I noticed it hasn't been working - don't know for how long though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The biggest clue is that it doesn't show as a component on the bus. It isn't communicating with my scanner. I will let ya'll know what it is as soon as I have an answer. It is definitely a different issue than what is in the comments. The noise was machine noise. There is condensation moisture in the the battery bay. We live in subtropical NH! It rains every night.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the Range Rover to the dealer. They isolated the problem as internal/mechanical (my long time indy mechanic). Had it transferred to Russell Transmissions, a family run reputable business in Manchester NH. The owner said the transmission was fried internally, The Torrington Gears and the clutches were mostly wrecked. He explained the P0733 code as unexplainable as he was also able to reproduce it. I have a rebuilt coming on Tuesday from Eriksson. Total cost including diagnostic and labor... just under $5K.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You shouldn't have continued to drive it after clearing the isues you initially recorded as codes, driving it contniunually my have exasterbated the issue that may have been a doable diy worn part replacement to a full failure.

These units are well built and not that hard to repair if you are mechanically savvy and have some tools to do the job with the guidance of a workshop manual.

I would advise that you slow down, do not give away your damaged transmission, keep it, open it up and you may be surprised to find that is was not completely toast as advised by the transmission pros..

Often they tell you that in hopes that you will "gift" them the alledged "fried unit' then once you are gone they go in and make the repairs, (often simple) and re-sell that unit for a fat profit to another unsuspecting person. All the parts in that transmission can be replaced and if done so correctly that unit has at least 200k miles or more of heavy work to perform. A ll the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts