RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As some of you may have previously read, I bought a pretty banged up L322 in January which I subsequently broke the day after.

The 'dealer' I purchased it from, I now no longer trust. Mainly because they haven't coughed up for the repairs yet, and somehow it passed its MOT with only 1 wiper blade working. (Can you see why I don't trust a word they say?!)

Apparently it was serviced before I drove it away too... yeah right.

So over the next few weeks, starting this weekend I'm planning on;

- Oil change & filter(s) replacement
- Drain and refresh coolant
- Injector replacement
- Replace viscous fan clutch
- New discs and pads (maybe upgrade)
- Replace drivers seat as leather is ripped, side control plate is cracked and heating function doesn't work, as don't half of the control buttons.
- Investigate, and maybe replace rear entertainment screen that doesn't power on
- rectify rust spots on rear arches
- remove speedo cluster and get pixelated display fixed
- replace standard head unit (also has pixelation) with android unit.
- probably get new stainless steel exhaust as the current one is looking nice and orange and rusty!

I'll happily just whittle away and get these fixed, but do you see any merit in me documenting each of these things in this thread as I do them?

I remember when I first started serving my own cars I'd of killed for a few pictures and a how-to!

If not I'll just shut up and get back to my busted Rangey :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes! Please document and take many pictures. Most of us here are DIYers and your info could be a lifesaver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so to kick things off, a local well known car parts supplier had a cracking 'up to' 50% off last week so decided to take advantage.

- 20L of 5W40
- Oil filter (including new O ring)
- Air filter
- Sump plug
- 32mm Socket

Total spend £74

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First things first, Air filter!
1. Remove oil cap

2. Undo 2 screws holding front engine cover section and remove.

3. Looks like there should be a screw in the top of the pipe, but I appear to just have a hole! Give the air pipe a tug and remove it from the airbox.

4. Undo 5 screws holding the top-left engine cover plate and remove, revealing lovely black air filter (Serviced the day I bought the car, my as*)

5. Replace with new filter, ensure rubber sleeve pops back over the air intel inside the airbox.

Reverse steps and replace the airbox cover, don't forget to replace the air pipe!!! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next - oil change.

I found it a real pain trying to find what size sump plug and washer to use, see photo and size below!

1. Remove oil filter cap with beasty 32mm socket, located to the right of the engine block.

2. Remove oil filter, replace with new filter and push it well inside the filter cap until it feels snug, put it back into filter housing but don't tighten.

3. So I set the suspension to max ride height to reach the sump. Thats just because of my own stupidity, please do it with axel stands!!!

4. Remove sump plug and watch the black oil flow! Took 35 minutes to stop dripping from a warm engine.

5. Forgot I didn't have a funnel, thank you juice bottle!!

6. Replace sump plug.

7. Added 8.2 litres of this (A3/B4) which gave me a perfectly 'half full' on the dipstick. Tighten oil filter cap now.

8. Run for 5 minutes and re-check levels, check for sump leaks and tighten if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
This is entertaining, thanks for keeping us updated!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
786 Posts
I suggest replacing the crankcase breather filter located under the engine cover. Part number LLJ500010. Its very easy to change and very cheap. The standard Range Rover gauze type filter is often replaced with the BMW version which never needs to be renewed so if yours has been done already you are fortunate.

A clogged filter can cause all kinds of issues so best get it done ASAP.

q.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well since this looks like its never even been washed by its previous owner, ill assume it hasn't been done!

Just ordered one from LR parts, thanks Ghur

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the ever growing money pit is still ever growing!!

Last week the viscous fan clutch completely broke, locking on and revving up with the engine. Then I noticed a massive wheel wobble when braking down from 70mph, it was pretty difficult to hold onto the wheel it was that bad.... and it started pumping smoke out the back every morning!!!

Due to starting a new job and having no time spare, I got it booked into a local garage, and I ordered a new Crank Case filter (Thank you @ghur) they replaced front discs and pads, filter, and new clutch. £450. I was pretty happy with that price, even happier that I dropped the car off at 9am and it was ready for collection by 11am!

Not content with its new toys, it decided to dump its ENTIRE volume of coolant on the A1 this morning on the way to work.

So I've clearly burst a pipe somewhere, and have a nice warm Range Rover cooling down in the carpark at work. :clap::crybaby2:

Glad I bought a great robust machine... oh wait.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had to replace the plastic/rubber coolant hose assembly on mine a short time ago. Also had to replace the hose on the backside of the engine as well. Not fun at all to lose your coolant all at once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a little update, the coolant fault was a knackered radiator. So the old girl got a new radiator last month.

Just as I decided to spend some money on a stereo, sub and speaker upgrade the faithful steed decided to throw another curve ball. The power steering pump packed in last week, originally my local garage thought it could have been the speed sensor that makes the steering go a bit tighter on motorways. However the local 4x4 experts say my model doesn't have that, and its either the pump on the steering rack, there isn't any way to see which one without replacing one. So we went for the cheapest option first, new power steering pump next week!

In terms of interior, I haven't really done anything, so while its getting some expensive repairs done I'm going to tackle some interior woes that wont cost too much. Firstly the drivers seat control valance has taken a hit from something before I owned the vehicle. I could pick another one up (RH-188258 minus the chrome bit) for about £50. I reckon I can do a better job for a lot less repairing mine, I'm going to vinyl wrap the wood effect in the cockpit at some point, so why not start with this.
closeup.jpg
Plans;

1. Strip - removed glue:)evil:) from chrome catches with Acetone
2. Repair cracks
3. Paint man valance cream again
4. vinyl wrap chrome control surround with carbon fibre

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another one ticked off the list, LCD repair on the instrument cluster!!

Massive thanks to Rudi at bmwpixelfix.co.uk.

I opted for the LCD repair and LED upgrade... looks goooooood!!

Top = After
Bottom = Before

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5888.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Issue number 489789347.

"Check coolant level"... AGAIN.

This time level was as expected, however there was some copper-looking metal filings in the reservoir....

I'm guessing that means the water pump it eating itself from the inside out...?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Sounds more like someone added stop leak at some point in it's life and that has slowly been flushing loose from the passages and heater core where extra stop leak like to deposit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts