RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just completed an overhaul of the PCV system replaced everything that was plastic and rubber started it up and it was like somebody threw a switch the minute the thermostat opened huge amounts of Grey smoke came blowing out of the exhaust it was definitely an overload of fuel not oil what could I have possibly done to cause such a massive dump of fuel when this wasn't happening before I had some with bluish gray oil smoke prior to this repair but this was so bad I'm surprised the fire department didn't show up in my driveway it was too late in the day to investigate what I may have done wrong but tomorrow I will begin backtracking to see what could be the cause

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cause and effect. Or just bad luck. I'd start with taking apart what you just replaced. Make sure that every seal is correct and just cross your t's and dot your i's. Any new codes To go with it? I've been battling my 4.4 for several months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually on second thought you probably disturbed a lot of oil and it's burning it in the engine now... A backed up PCV system will build up oil in the intake.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi when you changed the pcv did you take the rubber blanking grommet out of the hole in the old on and install it into the new one? This pcv has multiple applications and some vehicles need more inlets/outlets than ours hence the grommet. I forgot and it ran like a pos I got a smoke test and low and behold popped it in and happy days

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did not see any difference in the old one vs the new one, Im quite certain all hoses are connected properly and yet within minutes of starting the engine after completing the job I had billows of white smoke coming from the exhaust with a very strong odor of fuel. I also pulled up a code for "Faulty Cam position sensor bank 1" (Driver side) I replaced the sensor, reset the all Comm, even disconnected the battery and the code is still there as is the smoke.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Honestly there is 100% a black rubber bung blocking one of the holes on the old pcv you must transfer if it’s missing which it usually is - I had similar symptoms when I forgot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts