RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100101 miles
I have a 2003 L322, the BMW 4.4 version, that has a consistent new leak at the right front (drivers side).
It definitely seems like oil... that said, I started looking from the bottom after removing the plastic pan cover. Oil is on the steering rack bellows and above that it is dripping slow but sure from the engine mount bottom face, almost dead center.
I have a mechanics mirror with LED lights so I can peak above the engine mount and I see some oil on the bottom of the AC compressor. Then looking from the top side, under the hood, its' all clean. I then peak under the AC compressor and it shows some old oil residue. Just above that on the block or head, there is a round brass fitting/plug, about 1" long with a hex base. there is a fresh drip from the face of that plug that points down. That's the furthest up I have tracked the oil leak.
Does anyone know what this plug is? has anyone had this issue. It seems difficult to get to and I haven't tried to tighten it. It's that difficult to get to.... Any insight or history into this leak source .... Help Please! - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
880 Posts
Sorry, but I got lost part way up the block. Just going from experience, the valve cover gasket is the most common source of leaks.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
387 Posts
Vanos solenoid gaskets sip oil right on the front of the timing covers down the block a lot. This is very common on the M62TU engine. I replace the gaskets every year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts