RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 range rover with 180,000 miles. It has been fairly trouble free so far. I started having trouble staring it over the weekend. The key lock would occasionally no unlock. Finally it took the battery out after it wouldn't start and took it to advance auto. It was an interstate battery. They said it had a bad cell and that they had a battery that would work. Reluctantly I bought the battery because I could not get an interstate battery over the weekend. At first it would start again fine. Then it started doing it again. I can hear it try to unlock in the steering housing but it is a quieter clicking and keeps clicking. I the tried the top gear, Jeramy Clarkson repair of banging the steering column with my hand. Hilariously it works every time. What do you think the problem is and how do I fix it?
Also the radio stopped working a week ago, it just won't turn on, the monitor is fine. It started to work once with the new battery but quit quickly and has not worked since. I had the new battery and alternator checked and they are supposedly fine. Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This sounds like the dreaded steering column ECU/unlock problem. There are several active threads near the top of the recent threads list. If this is your problem I'm afraid there may not be an ideal solution :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read those and was afraid of that. I was also hoping that maybe it could be the non interstate battery. Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping someone else may have had the exact problem and was able to fix it. I am trying to find out as much as possible before I give up and take it 2 hours away to the LR independent garage for them to keep it for days.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Try this, take out fuse #18 and replace it, wait about 30 seconds, if the truck starts then is the dreaded Steering ECU, there is nothing, short of replacing the entire column ($4,000.00-$7,000.00) that the dealer can do for you. Look here at my humble solution:http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/47916-battery-fully-charge-but-engine-wont-turn-over.html
This is EXACTLY why I joined this forum. Thank you. Solution that finds a workaround for a 7K problem, can hardly be called "humble"!

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I joined this forum. Thank you. Solution that finds a workaround for a 7K problem, can hardly be called "humble"!
+1 to this statement. Thank you Zubi for your awesome solution to this problem! I'm sure many more people will be needing to use this trick!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
Thank you very much to the both of you!! There are a few members here trying to figure out a way to permanently solve this problem. This little switch will work till you wear it out! What I do is, once I arrive to my destination I flip it off and on, when I come back whenever that may be, I just start the truck like I normally would and drive off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts