RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm trying to diagnose a 2003 Range Rover HSE that's having some issues. As the title says, the ABS, Traction, and Brake lights are all illuminated in yellow when I start the vehicle, along with an HDC INACTIVE warning. The battery is fine and the Range Rover drives fine otherwise. This trifecta issue is pretty common with BMW's of the same time period and is generally resolved by replacing/rebuilding the ABS module. That's what I did with this one, I found a rebuilt module with the exact same part number and put that in. No change, the lights are still on as usual.

I connected PA Soft to try and scan the ABS module, and I got the following error codes: 8B, 5A, 5B. Those errors come back as soon as I clear them.

Any ideas as to what it might be? I'm thinking that perhaps it could be a speed sensor since the module didn't change anything... any way to test those without buying new ones?

Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
It would not hurt to check all your sensors front and rear with a VOM. I have seen people with the "three Amigos" resolve their issues replacing one bad sensor.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Plug into a range rover specific tool and pull the actual codes, then you'll know where the fault is. It could be anything.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I had that issue last year. Even after I replaced the ABS module, the codes kept returning. I finally decided the problem is that the codes are retained by other modules in the CAN bus...and they had to be cleared individually. Sorry, I don't remember the modules that were affected, but I simply used the "All Comms" software and went through every module, clearing as I went. After the second time around all remained clear.

JMHO...I came to the conclusion that many of the suspension functions depend on the ABS module to operate, like HDC, TC, EAC, Etc. So the system is set up so these peripheral modules read the initial ABS failure and retain it so they know to go into a limp mode. Then, a new ABS does not send out an "all clear" signal to tell the peripherals it's good to go. I imagine they would eventually clear themselves, over time and driving cycles...but it's pretty disconcerting driving with all the Christmas lights on the dash!?!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Wait wait wait wait have you turned the steering wheel lock-lock?

PA Soft will read most Rover codes for 2002-2004 L322s and 2005s for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,147 Posts
A bad wheel speed sensor will give you all of those codes at the same time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If speedometer also without function, it is the ABS sensor left backside. Look at all connectors, dust an water inside? Give response...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts