RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving home today and the Rover just dies! tried starting...starter works but the engine won't crank over. Guys what are common problems to check out before bringing it to the stealership? i had a similar problem with my mercedes and it ended up being a $50 CPS (crank position sensor) is this a common problem? any help/advice would be appreciated. the rover has 115k miles. only code was o2 sensor and P1651. it ran great until this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
randyboy said:
My wife was driving home today and the Rover just dies! tried starting...starter works but the engine won't crank over. Guys what are common problems to check out before bringing it to the stealership? i had a similar problem with my mercedes and it ended up being a $50 CPS (crank position sensor) is this a common problem? any help/advice would be appreciated. the rover has 115k miles. only code was o2 sensor and P1651. it ran great until this.
Did you check your fuel pump?

·
Registered
293 Posts
if your starter is just "clicking" and the motor is not turning, then it sounds like the starter is bad and not turning the motor. if the motor is turning but not firing then its not getting fuel.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts
Hi just joined, my car did same turned out to be shot fuel pump my stealers quoted me us dollar 1320 for new pump and sender unit .i took old unit out and replaced with external pump at cost of 70 dollars us.Problem solved!My car has 180000 km on the clock and according to the Bosch experts it is to be expected at this kind of distance.By the way RRUK inspired me to tackle job after looking at his gearbox o/h. `)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Can you post a link to the pump parts you replaced for the 70 US? I would like to pick one up as i think my pump is acting up and i don't want to spend 450 or more for this thing.

JH

·
Registered
7 Posts
As i am not in your neck of the wood here goes rundown of job
-take out rear seats 4 bolts and 4 nuts
-ENSURE IGNITION IS OFF!
-loosen carpet by undoing two spare wheel straps where they tie to body
-undo round plates covering fuel tank lids
-undo plug from wire harness
-undo round nut on both by unscrewing black metal ring
-take of fuel line connectors
-gently coax out fuel pump housing(white plastic cylinder) NOTE1 of two fuel senders unit also part of unit
-halfway on white fuel pump housing loosen left hand tank connector pipe by inserting arm through other round hole-trust me easiest way to get to connector
-now remove fuel pump housing gently
_open fuel pump housing by twisting bottom third of the housing off
-CHOICE TIME either replace bmw 3,8 bar pump enquire at your spare warehouse simplest reccomended way or replace duff pump with w124 mercedes pump 6 bar and fit externally next to fuel filter with push on connectors as i did reason being simple job to replace if failing in bush- Botswana or Mozambique far from home :D

t

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wanted to check the simply things first like the fuse and fuel pump relay. But on the back of my mind, i knew it was the fuel pump. i sourced a pump from a local mechanic for 600 USD and installed it with my son. took about 1.5hrs. a little father son bonding! After installing this, i found an oil leak coming from the infamous PCV return hoses! Time to buy a G-wagon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just and update to all. I pulled my failed fuel pump, removed the lower 1/3 section that housed the actual pump and replaced it with a pump from a BMW X5. They are the exact same pump just with different housings. I purchased a brand new x5 pump and housing from Napa for $200 usd. Took me 1.5 hrs to change it all out and install.

G

·
0 Posts
wigginsd77 said:
Just and update to all. I pulled my failed fuel pump, removed the lower 1/3 section that housed the actual pump and replaced it with a pump from a BMW X5. They are the exact same pump just with different housings. I purchased a brand new x5 pump and housing from Napa for $200 usd. Took me 1.5 hrs to change it all out and install.
Now THIS is the kind of quality 1st post we like around here. $1320 at the dealer and $200 from NAPA.
Thanks wiggins. :clap:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wiggins,

Would you mind getting me the part # for the BMW pump or give me the year BMW you told the parts guy? My RR is sitting at the dealership right now and I just received that $1400 dollar call. I would love to have it towed home, replace the pump myself, and save 1200 clams.

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
96 Posts
I found two in the BMW micro cat -> ETK :
64 12 1 388 245 and 64 12 9 143 157 both cost around 200

These are for the X5 E53 4.4i M62

There's another part called delivery unit which seems to include the pump as well and also costs 200,
this has part.no. 16 11 6 755 043

·
Registered
30 Posts
I replaced my fuel pump on my '04 RR 4.4l V8 about a week ago. I had my friend, who is an independent shop owner and RR tech get it from a dealer with his discount for $800 before 6.75% tax, so add about $54 for that. The part is a genuine RR one and came with a new fuel filter and sender unit as part of the package. When I mentioned using the X5 part on my car to him, he swatted down the idea, perhaps he is unfamiliar with the concept. In the end, I did an oil change using Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and the whole bill came down to $1,300 with labor and local taxes. Looking back, I feel good about the decision not to buy the part from eBay; although it could've saved me about $200.

·
Registered
10 Posts
randyboy said:
Do you mean the the engine won't turn over at all or merely that it won't turn over on the starter motor? What is the voltage of your battery? it sounds like engine is flooded with fuel. Try to floor it while cranking allowing more air to get in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
wigginsd77 said:
Nice work fella. Ensure you get all relevant info together and fire it off in a email to jabrabyn at rangerovers dot net for inclusion in the parts sources page. :clap:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just for confirmation... I bought a fuel pump from an X5 (4.4L M62) from a seller on ebay. This fuel pump is compatible with the fuel pump in my Range Rover if I extract the actual pump from the housing, correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing a few days, but ends up starting, when yours needed a fuel pump did your check engine or service engine soon light turn on? Mine has.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts