RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Ok, so here is the deal... in your opinions and experiences which is the more reliable engine/power train combo: BMW 4.4 M62 V8 or the Jaguar 4.4 AJ-V8?

I have owned two MKIII Ranges in the past 4 years. My first was a used ‘03 that I bought in 2005. My second was a used ‘06 S/C that I bought in 2008.

I bought my '03 with 80K miles in 2006 and sold it in sold my 2007 with 130K miles. I didn't have many problems other than replacing a water pump, which is normal. However it did have this incessant, high pitched chirping/squealing noise every so often coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. Never did figure that one out.

In 2008 I bought the '06 S/C with 36K miles. Before the factory warranty was up I had an engine problem and received an error message stating "Reduce Engine Performance". I took it in and all was fixed. Well for the next year, until I sold it, the engine had many problems and I had replaced the brakes (pads, rotors and sensors twice in 14K miles).

Anyway... I recently traded the '06 S/C in on a 2010 MB R350 (for the wife) because she was wanted more room than her C-class offers and was scared to drive the Range and become stranded with the kids. Now I have the C-class. It’s nice, but it’s no Range.

Well, I want another Range and am hesitant to get a ‘06+ because of the Jag engine. Jaguars have never been reliable and have yet to convince me they have gotten better. But, I have to wonder did I experience problems because mine was supercharged?

I am not utterly concerned with the interior/exterior differences. Obviously I’d prefer a ‘07+ interior (actually I’d rather have a 2010) but will do what makes more sense for my family in terms of reliability.

Final question, if I go with the BMW-era I will most certainly (and only) get a ‘05 because of the Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 Sound System and MOST network.

Now, does anyone know if it is possible to install a ‘07+ radio unit so that I would have Satellite Radio internally and the easy option for adding iPod integration, rear entertainment system and back-up camera? This would give me the internal options I would most miss from my ’06, except for the iPod since it wasn’t offered until ‘07.

I know I could upgrade the ‘03/’04 MkIII Nav to the MkIV Nav but I’d miss the touch screen, 710W sound system and rear speakers mounted on the pillars instead of the lift gate.

Thanks all,
Mark

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Personally I think that the Jaguar V8 engines used by Land Rover in RR, RRS and LR3 have been a model of reliability, very smooth and refined when coupled to their ZF trannies. They need to haul around some morbidly obese vehicles, but that's no fault of their own. The problems with the newer Rovers are very rarely caused directly by engine failures, but rather by the electrical system and the myriad of the supposedly "smart" electronic modules surrounding them - and things are only going to get worse on MY2010s and later, I'm afraid. A "Reduced Engine Performance" fault on these V8s can often be triggered by something as silly as a dirty MAF sensor or, in the case of a S/C engine, a bad or "factory mis-wired" :shock: cooling pump for the supercharger (not sure what sort of problems you experienced on your 2006 besides that one, sorry), hardly indicators of an unreliable engine. The supercharger adds some complexity and an extra cooling system, and if you drive it like you stole it your brakes will wear out quickly, sure. It's a 3-ton vehicle. But I don't see these engines as being especially troublesome when compared to normally aspirated ones, or to the "old" BMW power plants.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
However it did have this incessant, high pitched chirping/squealing noise every so often coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. Never did figure that one out.
This is the ecu fan - easy replacement item and 79.00 at british atlantic.

my mechanic said it best -03 - 05 was the last year the bullet proof powerplant was put in the full size range rover. He works on all sorts so i trust him....

I agree with him.

I would get a 2004 westminster if you can find a real clean well maintained one.

BMW ibus has some cool stuff you can put in - here is what i put in so far and it works very well:

Reverse cam - 99
reverse cam input video with an extra input to the front screen - 200
MKIV nav with latest nav disc - 549 minus the sell of the old CD nav for 300 - net 149
Intravee ii - 249
Alpine DVD changer - 299 minus sell of factory cd changer for 150 - net 149
Alpine ainet 410 switch - 179
alpine ainet ipod interface - 99
Bluetooth interface from blackberry to plug into aux 1 on ainet switch - 29
Bluetooth phone module and mic - 799
Sirius sat tuner for ainet - 49
2 - JL 6.5 inch woofers (put them in the stock box) 299
2 - soundstream amps and some wires - 119
Ir transmitter for the rear occupants - i put this in the sunglass holder - 59
Wireless headphones x 2 - 109

Installer time - 250.00 where i needed help

i also replaced some plastic parts in the rig - rear hatch plastic that holds the speakers in the hatch - i basically glued the speakers in the holes and filled it with foam and that covered the inside with the dynomat type stuff.

The system sounds great and if one was inclined to get some screens to the headrests - it would be easy to add to the system... Could play the dvd from the alpine dvd changer or ones that integrate into the headrests... I didn't do the headrests because i like controlling what my kids watch and it's nice to have the movie on the center console playing - keeps the kids from arguing about who watches what like in my Mercedes.

Mechanically - i think you know the normal stuff - air struts from arnott are a must for the font, a new battery and watch the cooling system and you should be good to go.

My opinion - you can get a 2004 with most all the infotainment of a 2010 for 1/5 the price all in. I have a friend in LA that has 260K on his RR 2003 BMW base - only major replacement has been the tranny - but it went out because the dealer never flushed it (it's sealed for life you know) so it leaked fluid over time and burnt up.

PM me if you want more info or screen shots - links etc.

JH

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
jhepworth said:
However it did have this incessant, high pitched chirping/squealing noise every so often coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. Never did figure that one out.
This is the ecu fan - easy replacement item and 79.00 at british atlantic.

my mechanic said it best -03 - 05 was the last year the bullet proof powerplant was put in the full size range rover. He works on all sorts so i trust him....

I agree with him.

I would get a 2004 westminster if you can find a real clean well maintained one.

BMW ibus has some cool stuff you can put in - here is what i put in so far and it works very well:

Reverse cam - 99
reverse cam input video with an extra input to the front screen - 200
MKIV nav with latest nav disc - 549 minus the sell of the old CD nav for 300 - net 149
Intravee ii - 249
Alpine DVD changer - 299 minus sell of factory cd changer for 150 - net 149
Alpine ainet 410 switch - 179
alpine ainet ipod interface - 99
Bluetooth interface from blackberry to plug into aux 1 on ainet switch - 29
Bluetooth phone module and mic - 799
Sirius sat tuner for ainet - 49
2 - JL 6.5 inch woofers (put them in the stock box) 299
2 - soundstream amps and some wires - 119
Ir transmitter for the rear occupants - i put this in the sunglass holder - 59
Wireless headphones x 2 - 109

Installer time - 250.00 where i needed help

i also replaced some plastic parts in the rig - rear hatch plastic that holds the speakers in the hatch - i basically glued the speakers in the holes and filled it with foam and that covered the inside with the dynomat type stuff.

The system sounds great and if one was inclined to get some screens to the headrests - it would be easy to add to the system... Could play the dvd from the alpine dvd changer or ones that integrate into the headrests... I didn't do the headrests because i like controlling what my kids watch and it's nice to have the movie on the center console playing - keeps the kids from arguing about who watches what like in my Mercedes.

Mechanically - i think you know the normal stuff - air struts from arnott are a must for the font, a new battery and watch the cooling system and you should be good to go.

My opinion - you can get a 2004 with most all the infotainment of a 2010 for 1/5 the price all in. I have a friend in LA that has 260K on his RR 2003 BMW base - only major replacement has been the tranny - but it went out because the dealer never flushed it (it's sealed for life you know) so it leaked fluid over time and burnt up.

PM me if you want more info or screen shots - links etc.

JH
Couldn't have said it better myself. Check out www.roverupgrades.com

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would like to see some pictures...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Custom roof rack and ladder going on this week and i will post the pics of all the goodies and maybe even some off road pics as well.

JH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts