RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am about to pick up my new MKIII. Am considering having the dealer install the LR mudflaps, but was wondering what others experiences with these have been. Are they needed or not? Is perhaps 3M taping/filming the lower side panels for protection perhaps an option in their place? I will be doing an extensive amount of highway driving in the Canadian North with this vehicle and would appreciate any opinions.

So very many thanks.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
381 Posts
You will need them in the wet! The rear wiper sweep interval is too long if you are driving fast on the highway. I have an SE that didn't have them fitted and bought a set from the dealer to fit them myself. Bad idea as some drilling is required and being kackhanded I'm sure the drill would slip and do untold damage......... so the dealer gets to laugh at my hopelessness and takes yet more money from me!
For a modern 21st century wagon the design of the back end is terrible from an rear aerodymanic point of view.
Also stand well back when you open the rear window after it has been raining - you will get water over you when it runs straight down the gutter and onto your trouser legs and feet!

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
rear wiper setting

:? If you check your handbook you will see that if you push the rear wiper leaver forward then straight back count for the number of seconds you want between sweeps then push forward again then the rear wiper will action at the time you have set. :)

Tim said:
You will need them in the wet! The rear wiper sweep interval is too long if you are driving fast on the highway. I have an SE that didn't have them fitted and bought a set from the dealer to fit them myself. Bad idea as some drilling is required and being kackhanded I'm sure the drill would slip and do untold damage......... so the dealer gets to laugh at my hopelessness and takes yet more money from me!
For a modern 21st century wagon the design of the back end is terrible from an rear aerodymanic point of view.
Also stand well back when you open the rear window after it has been raining - you will get water over you when it runs straight down the gutter and onto your trouser legs and feet!

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
Tim have you found the mudflaps to be effecctive in actually helping keep ,mud off the chassis and body? I found on the 4.0/4.6 the factory mudflaps are pretty useless, but on the Classic they were wonderful

Cheers

John

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
155 Posts
Hi John

The answer is no. On road the sides get covered and off-road the same happens just with mud!! :D

The mud flaps are as p38, the help a little but not much. At least the inner wings won't rot like on the classic!! :wink:

Cheers

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
MudFlaps

New TD6 came with rear mudflaps which work well.
I decided to fit the fronts but you need a special tool once you have drilled the holes!!! Don't even try it yourself let the dealer do it.
Once fitted the mudflaps work well keeping heavy mud of the sides and the doors.
We use the TD6 off-raod driving with several friends in 100 series TD4.2 Land Cruisers and the TD6 flogs them .... go rover. :D

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just resurrecting this old thread (found in "search") to see if anyone has further comments about the mud flaps. I am considering getting them front and rear on my '03, which gets awfully dirty in the winter. The local dealer told me today that the front ones come in for a lot of criticism up here in Canada because of the way they are hollowed out ,which collects the snow and slush. Any comments? Anyone got a way to improve them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would consider them when I go up to snowboarding and stay for the weekend. However, I would take them off once I get back home.

I just don't know if the flaps would in time dull the paint on the lower fender that it rest on.

J.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Put them on and very happy. Sick of mud sla[pping up sides of car all the time - especially the rear. Install was simple. Did not have the taping tool neccessary for install but found drill hole smaller than tap and hammering in worked well.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kinda neat seeing this old post. I had them installed on that truck. Dealer made a right mess of the job. Found that rocks accumulated between the front mud flaps and the fender, due to a poor fit up/contour contact, which as they increasingly accumulated there, was pushing the flap away from the body panel over time. The rears tended to follow the contour of the body much better and did not suffer this problem. If you drive in snow and mud they will cake up, accumulate with material, due to the deep cavity. Left them off this latest truck, and really can't say I miss them.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Kind Regards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts