RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've recently purchased black leather 2012 interior after installing door cards and rear seat I've stumbled across front seat runners are different size and electrical connectors are different. Has anyone had success with this upgrade?
I'd be most grateful for any info.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
I doubt anyone has done this "upgrade". A better solution would be to mount your 2012 seats on the 2002 frames. It would certainly be less work. Memory modules are going to be vastly different as you are trying to stick third gen L322 parts in a first gen L322. Wiring and seat ECU will never run the newer seats.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Not to mention the airbag in the seat could possibly be different, and putt an SRS code on the dash.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
118 Posts
2002-2006 seats are completely different to 2007-2009, and to 2010MY onwards.

Some of the interfaces on the 2007-2009 may be able to be modified (although not without some trial and error) into a pre-2006 car but the 2010MY on are significantly different, electronically, both in the signaling and wiring connections.

Externally, the 2007-2012 seats do look very similar. However, most notably between the earlier and later seats:

The seat tracks are completely different - the earlier tracks up until 2006 are narrower.

The electronic interface between the seat and seat switch is completely different.

The seat wiring harness, and its connectors, is completely different.

The seat control module is completely different.

The heat and cool wiring is completely different (if fitted).

The plastic trim on the side of the seat base is completely different, along with the seat belt's seat base anchor point.

Just for good measure the headrest monitors have different connector plugs (between 2007-2009 and 2010MY-on) at the seat base connection, too.

As previously mentioned, SRS is significantly different also.

The early and late (either side of 2006MY) seat switches will all clip into the outer seat base trim fairing in the same way, however, the early switch uses a multipin connector on the rear facing edge, whereas the 2010MY-on switch is blank at the rear edge where the earlier connector once plugged in.

Therefore, unless you install (and splice into your existing harness) the 2012 connectors, modules and sub-harness' they aren't going to "act" at all, in response to seat switch commands. There is no plug and play.

If you're super handy (and very patient) with electronics you may be able to get a few basic functions working in some form of hybrid combination of the two seats but realistically, other than that, you may want to reconsider this project.

The seats up until 2006 ARE a direct fit and so, if you're just looking for a "better set" of seats consider sourcing a pair of those.

2007MY onward, beginning with the wider seat base tracks are not directly compatible (although they look very similar until stripped apart).

Nothing's impossible but it's nowhere near as easy as you're hoping it will be ;)

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is depressing. I was about to attempt this as i have a mint 2012 interior in sand.
i just bought another L322 in Java black to fit it in too.
Glad I found this though before attempting it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts