RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Have a 2002 RR P38 and just bought used running boards (side runners) that came with all the brackets, bolts and washers except for the inserts (collets?) that go into predrilled holes in the frame of the RR (need 8 of them). I have contacted BP of Utah, Atlantic-British, lrparts, local LR Dealer (Bluff City British Cars--Jaguar & Land Rover), and searched these forums. The part is something along the lines of a screw anchor you would use in your wall, only metal and much heartier. RAVE shows a picture of them but does not describe them/give a part number and there are no installation instructions apart from the visual ones (i.e., line drawings without text). [HR][/HR]Anyone have a line on these collets? Otherwise, I'm thinking of drilling holes on the opposite side of the frame and inserting long bolts to attach the brackets. Another option would be to go to a home builder supply house and get some metal anchors and fashion something like the collets myself. Thanks, Vancer

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
They are commonly known as Rivnuts, or Nutserts.

I think this is the official part number: NN108011L

However, I think they are just a standard M8 Rivnut/Nutsert so don't see any reason why a generic part from the likes of eBay can't be used.

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Marty This information is quite helpful. [HR][/HR] Based on your info, I searched eBay and found some LR NOS that ranged from $3-4 (2 - 3 Quid?) each. Hefty price or not, I need them. Haven't found a source this side of the pond. Hope shipping is reasonable. Do you have to use a special rivnut tool or can you just tap them in and then the bolt being screwed in secures everything? Thanks, Vance (Don't know how to do a return for the line to break this into paragraphs).

·
Registered
52 Posts
M8 rivnuts are too small, use m10 long reach in steel not aluminium. you will need to open the holes slightly to 13mm

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
I just did a quick search on ebay.com for 'M8 Nutsert' and came up with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M8-x-1-25-Threaded-Steel-Nutsert-Rivet-Nuts-Inserts-Metric-10-/400931997036

You may get more results if you are searching from the US - I'm searching from the UK so it seems to always give me results based on where I am...

Maybe a search of 'M8 Rivnut' will also find some - it depends on how they are described where you are.

Fitting them... Yes, ideally you need a special tool - but these (from what I gather) are fairly readily available (again, I'd try eBay) though the installation manual in RAVE shows then being inserted using a flat piece of metal, a spanner, a bolt and a nut. However years ago when I first put running boards on my first P38, I tried that method and couldn't get it to work, so took it to an auto place to get them to install them for me, and then I fitted the running boards.

However, I was in NZ still at the time, and 10 years ago, places like eBay weren't as big for being able to get pretty much any tool you want!

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Marty and Tarphenry,[HR][/HR]I ordered the Rivnuts you found Marty. If the M8's don't seem to fit the bill, I will go after the steel M10s you wrote about Tarphenry. Thank you for this information. It was very timely and helpful. Vancer

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello All,[HR][/HR]I tried installing the 8 mm Rivnuts. They were too big for the pre-drilled holes in the frame. Opened up the hole to fit Rivnut and then could not get it to collapse on itself. Heads broke off of all- thread 8 mm zinc-coated bolts purchased at Lowes (Home Center). Bought right-angle drill attachment to widen holes. Really did not fit in space to drill. Ended up having brackets welded to RR (see photo). Am happy. Don't recommend doing Rivnuts yourself unless you have proper tools. Harbor Freight sells a hand-held Nutsert tool but it cannot handle something as large as 8 mm. Ditto for Northern Tools (don't know if they have brick & mortar stores in other parts of the world). Both had the larger two armed hedge-trimmer like tools but I could not see how to use one in the space under the car. Vancer

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I feel your pain!
I use a lot of stainless steel "Rivnut" and "Nutsert" type fasteners from 4-40 to M10 dia. and own Pneumatic, and hand type installation tools.
trying to do anything much more than 6mm with a hand tool is pretty hopeless. (Unless they are Aluminum)
Good call on the welding!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Bolt,
Attached is a photo of the weld and the side runners on the Rangie. Didn't realize how many hours I would be trying to make the Rivnuts work--not counting thinking about it.
Vancer

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
For future reference, I have installed the running boards with the aluminum riv-nuts they fit in the hole perfectly & because they are aluminum the bolt & nut trick works great to collapse the riv-nut. If you have concerns about the aluminum versus the steel don't be concerned they are plenty strong enough. My buddy goes off road weekly on heavy terrain and they are constantly standing and hanging on the running boards. Unfortunately the riv-nut tool / gun, will not fit in the space on the frame to be useful. I think you can get to one hole on each side of the frame, with the tool.

On a side note to the guy who borrowed my riv-nut tool about a year ago, thank you for returning it. It took you awhile but hey at least you returned it.

Thanks you

Scotty

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scotty,
Are the aluminum Rivnuts original Land Rover parts? Here's another photo to finish the story.
Vancer

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
I think when I put running boards on my first one, they were probably steel rivnuts that I bought - and couldn't get to work..

Hence why I ended up taking it somewhere and getting them to fit them for me.

If I were to do it again these days, I probably would go down the aluminium rivnut route as Scotty mentions, and DIY install them...

The 'official' installation instructions from LR show just using a flat piece of metal, and a couple of spanners to fit them - so I am guessing from that, they used the aluminum ones by default aswell... as when I tried the 'official' method with the steel ones, I had very similar results to you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts