RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan runs continuously once the ignition is turned on (does shut off when ignition key is off), when hitting the AC button the orange light flashes (used to only go on solid) also have the book showing on the climate system conrol panal. Not sure if it could be related but the locks lock and unlock by themselves which has gone on for a while intermitantly. The OBD does nto show any codes or issues. Ideas on where to start? 2002 RR 4.6

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Re: 2002 RR 4.6 - climate control system fan running continuous

There's no way to turn the fan off. That's just how it is.

The door locks have nothing to do with it. That has it's own sweet problem. Don't leave your keys in the car...ever. One day it will lock you out.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts

Hi

There are 2 fans. They are speed controled by the climate control ecu. What is the problem are they running at full speed? Can you control the speed with the manual rotary button an the AC panel? The speed signal comes from the ecu. If the speed regulation electronic system is faulty or if there is an earth fault in the wiring or fan itself the fan can go to full speed.

Please describe the symptoms more accurately.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
44 Posts

ox12345, I think I know exactly what you mean. I had a problem with my right (passenger) side blower that would continuously run from the time I turned on the ignition till the time I turned it off regardless of what speed the dial was set to. I finally just ordered a used one on e-bay that I found for $20 and just replaced the whole thing. It was a very simple swap. After that everything was back to normal.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts

or you could have a look at the forsale forum and see if there are any fans there :roll:
just Sayin...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

in repsonse to Jos Geuze » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:03 am reply

The fan runs continuos but yes I can tun it up higher with the rotary dial on the control unit. Anything mnore for me?

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts

You can't turn the fan off... only to a low setting.

·
Registered
276 Posts

On mine I can turn the fans completely off after pressing A/C off.

The A/C off light blinking means that the HEVAC won't be able to hold/reach your selected temperature without the AC compressor running.
It should be lit solid after a few seconds.

Sigi

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

the replies telling me you cant turn the fan off are not very constructive. I have owned this RR for 6 years know how the fan is supposed to work. I hope some one may have had issues similar to mine where the fan runs constant (lets say at medium high)
. I suspect a relay or ground fault may be the problem but again hope for clear direction here as I have gotten on many other questions.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts

ox12345 said:
the replies telling me you cant turn the fan off are not very constructive. I have owned this RR for 6 years know how the fan is supposed to work. I hope some one may have had issues similar to mine where the fan runs constant (lets say at medium high)
. I suspect a relay or ground fault may be the problem but again hope for clear direction here as I have gotten on many other questions.

This is the first time you've stated at what speed the fans fun, even after being asked. I wouldn't have told you again if you hadn't just dismissed it.

We had this discussion a few years back and it was the consnesus of the RR.net masses that the fans could not be turned off. If you actually can by lowering the speed to low and pressing the a/c off button, that's a new one for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts

My Rover had the fan or fans running on high all the time also last week, it was running on one side continuously and the book light was on in the climate controls. My mechanic found a bad relay for the blower fans/motors so am replacing both (might as well while he is there anyway), also the condenser had corroaded badly and leaked so got to replace that also.
I only bought it 3 months ago so find these things as time goes on that the previous owner left hence he sold it, just the usual maintanence issues that if they were done in a timely fashion won't be the problems they turn into.
Aynsley

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
44 Posts

kmagnuss said:
ox12345 said:

This is the first time you've stated at what speed the fans fun, even after being asked. I wouldn't have told you again if you hadn't just dismissed it.

We had this discussion a few years back and it was the consnesus of the RR.net masses that the fans could not be turned off. If you actually can by lowering the speed to low and pressing the a/c off button, that's a new one for me.
Maybe I'm crazy or something is wrong with my system but that's how I've always done it and they do always shut off completely.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts

I'm not doubting at all. It's good to know. If I can ever view my screen again I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

found number 7 relay was burned. will get a new on today and let everyone know if that works. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well the number 7 relay was clearly burned but replacing it did nothing at all. Is there anyway to check the other relay (#6) also any other ideas. The fan seems to run full speed at all times with the key turned. I thought the fan changed speeds on manual mode but now see it is just the blend changing the winds direction. This is the passenger side fan behind the glove box (i have a LHDrive US model 2002 rr hse). ps the glove box is now out and wires seem to look fine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Both fans can be switched off by first using the "A/C Off" button and then rotating the dial anti-clockwise until the fans both stop. :thumb:

However, in the case of the above, I believe I have read somewhere that the fans will run at full speed unless the fan controller slows them down, hence the default is "full speed". So a fault with the speed controller will not slow the fan(s), Does the LHS Blower stop? :think:

You really need to get the codes read by a proper system (Testbook/Autologic/Faultmate), as the HEVAC is not OBDII compliant so it will not bring up any codes unless they specifically affect pollution. This could really make things easier.

Stu

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

LHS does stop but the right side is always full.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

Hi

The fan is getting a continous feed from the relays. The ECU is sending a voltage signal towards the speed control electronics build in the fan. If the signal from the ECU is 12 V then the fan speed is minimal and with the ECU grounding to 0 Volt will result in the fan running at full speed.

It is possible that there is a fault in your fan and that the electronics are burned through making a permanent path to ground and this can cause the fan to run at full speed.

If you want to do a test remove the connectors from the fan and only connect the black return wire. Make an extension of the red wire from the other fan and connect it up to your fan that runs all the time. If connected properly you have now connected the fan to the speed regulation circuit of your proper working fan and if you can now adjust the speed you have faulty speed regulation electronics in your fan.
This can be cured by replacing them if you can find them. It is easier to find an other fan.

Good luck

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the same model (left-hand drive 02 HSE) and have had the same problem. The right fan only ran on high for a short time and now it's fine again. The left fan runs on high all the time, no matter what I sent the AC Off button to, or how I turn the fan speed dial. What what I can tell, I think the left fan needs to be replaced. I removed the fuse for it, so it never runs now, and the right fan is usually enough to heat or cool the car, although it takes a little longer. Someday I'll get around to replacing the left fan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts