RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new to the forum and Range Rovers. i picked it up the other day 80,000 miles on the clock. I’ve been getting a low brake fluid on the dash and the ABS and Brake Light will pop up bitch not stay on. I tested the abs pump relay and it’s doesn’t work. I ordered a replacement relay. Will this solve the problem with the pedal & lights !!??!?!?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Probably not. It sounds more like the accumulator needs to be replaced and the brake fluid topping up. It needs to be above the minimum when the pump has run and pressurised the accumulator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not. It sounds more like the accumulator needs to be replaced and the brake fluid topping up. It needs to be above the minimum when the pump has run and pressurised the accumulator.
ok so I should order a new accumulator and that’ll bring the pressure back to the breaks ? 🧐

·
Registered
336 Posts
More than likely that'll be the fix, if you can spare the cash, else bleed the brakes ( following Rave, the LR manual) and see what happens...if the car is new to you God knows what they've done to it, and you might as well purge the old fluid anyway

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
447 Posts
before you rush out and buy things do some tests, start by turning on the key to position 2 and listen for the abs pump to start, it should run for around 30 40 seconds or so. if it starts and stops within seconds its possibly the accumulator , if the pump doesn't start there is a power problem possibly relay or pump has burnt out etc . try pumping the brakes at least 4/5 times, this should start the pump. if the pump doesn't start its a power problem. to remove the accumulator pump brakes they say 30 times to remove the pressure and simply unscrew with caution of course. if the pump is no go try powering it up manually just to see if it goes, let us know how that works ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I’m gonna do those test I’ll purge it tomorrow and swap that the relay i don’t hear the motor starting nor do I hear it after pumping the brakes appreciate the help I’ll update you guys after

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
With no pressure due to the pump not running at all, the brakes will barely stop the car, the pedal will be like trying to compress a brick and will have very little affect.

·
Registered
336 Posts
HWC - you may not know what you're listening out for. Lift up the hood (I'm bilingual) and locate the abs pump (with a black dome on top, and yellow label). At ignition II go and physically touch the pump and see if it's working. As everyone's saying, no pump working is pretty serious and you won't want to be going anywhere near a road before it's sorted. But as you said the relay doesn't work, then hopefully it will be solved once replaced
While I'm here, don't remove the accumulator unless you have a replacement o ring, as it will almost certainly be destroyed on removal. By the book, you need to re-bleed the brakes after removal, but if it was done properly prior to removal, then it doesn't need doing straight away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey new to the forum and Range Rovers. i picked it up the other day 80,000 miles on the clock. I’ve been getting a low brake fluid on the dash and the ABS and Brake Light will pop up bitch not stay on. I tested the abs pump relay and it’s doesn’t work. I ordered a replacement relay. Will this solve the problem with the pedal & lights !!??!?!?
I have had intermittent braking problems for a few thousand miles now, and to be frank, should not have used the Range Rover without fixing the problem before now. The story began when I had the three warning lights up, and in order to check the pump, accumulator, or pressure switch, I removed the cover of the relay, and with the ignition in position 11, I used the tip of one finger to close the relay after refitting it back into the holder. The pump immediately started up, and ran for as long as my finger held the contacts closed. It was therefore clear that either the relay, the low power circuit that closes it, or the pressure switch was at fault. I ordered a second hand switch from a guy in the USA, and I fitted the new switch, a very simple job, which was done by undoing the three ten millimetre nuts that hold the pump assembly to the body, and lifting whole assembly clear a couple of inches, to get access to the switch , I used a 36mm. open ended spanner to undo the switch, and having the replacement close at hand, took the old one out, screwed the new one in. The pump now fires up immediately, and the lights have gone out. I have now covered a few hundred miles, with excellent brakes, and renewed confidence in high speed driving. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts