RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

This is my first post on this board. I am a religious user of RR.net. It is, indeed, the foremost practical guide to owning Range Rovers. I put it ahead of my RAVE Disc.

I have been unable to solve one problem - my horn has not worked since I don't know when. We bought the vehicle in August '08 and it has never worked. Mind you, neither horn works.

I have done the following:
1. Ruled out that it was the relay. I put the horn relay in my '99 Disco and it worked for the Disco.
2. All of my circuit breakers appear to be intact.
3. I have visually checked the connections on the horn units and they appear to be fine.
4. I visually checked the connections at the bottom of the fuse box - no indication of a problem there.
5. Removed steering wheel pad and checked horn mechanisms. Found some soda residue from a previous owner's spill. All other steering wheel controls work, though.

My other problems that may be related are:

1. Overheated Relay 7 - One of the terminal sockets is worn.
2. Poltergeist locks - The locks just randomly lock and then unlock whether driving or not. The tailgate latch goes through phases of inoperability. Sometimes pressing it just makes all of the doors lock. I have to wrestle with it for about 5 minutes by just pressing it, unlocking with the key fob, repeat and it starts to work again.

I have searched this board (along with allexperts.com, landrovernet.com, etc.) for a similar issue to no avail. Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well, you might want to try replacing the horn. As ridiculous as this sounds, we have a golf car that had a similar issue and found it to be a faulty horn! I know, its a golf cart but, a similar problem could occur on an LR I suppose LOL :lol: .

·
Registered
453 Posts
lrscott said:
Well, you might want to try replacing the horn. As ridiculous as this sounds, we have a golf car that had a similar issue and found it to be a faulty horn! I know, its a golf cart but, a similar problem could occur on an LR I suppose LOL :lol: .
put 12v accross the horns to check they work before replacing, you mention soda in the steering wheel pad. I think your problems are likely to be there

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't think that it would be the horns. It seems unlikely that both would go out, to me.

I'm leaning more towards replacing the fuse box.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You need a voltmeter to diagnose the problem. Otherwise you will just be guessing and replacing parts until you get it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try setting the alarm off (I do it more than I would have thought!) and see if the horns go off!

My horn isn't working either (using the steering wheel button) since I bought it. But, when I set the alarm off, the horns do their thing. I'm thinking my problem is the steering wheel button contacts, but it's way down on the to-do list for now.

Good luck

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just sat in my car, set the super locks and tried to set off the motion sensor - nothing happened. Just the LED on the dash flickered. I then tried to start the car. The engine was disabled. I figure my alarm should have been going off. However, nothing happened. I have never heard the car alarm go off after almost having it for a year.

Thanks for the posts. This tells me there may actually be something wrong with the horns or connections.

Please keep the insight coming!

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
The alarm could have been disabled. Mine doesn't sound either. However, I do get the message centre warnings if it is triggered.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't been given any indication that the alarm system is not working. It seemed as though it was. The horns just weren't going off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To give the latest.... I checked the rotary coupling and was unable to find any bad connections. Additionally, everything else in the steering wheel and column seems to work. All of the stereo, cruise, etc. controls work.

Also, when the horns are operated, the relay in the engine compartment fuse box clicks. I assume this means that there is electricity going from the mechanisms, through the coupling and BeCM, and to the fuse box.

I am now rendered thinking the actual horns are the problem. This (pun) blows my mind.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in disbelief. I took the horn out of my '99 disco and put it in the RR. It worked. The actual horn units have failed. I am beside myself and would never have thought that a unit like that could fail. Much less, two units. I am happy it will soon be fixed, but a bit disappointed that this could happen.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Glad to hear that you found the problem but you could have saved yourself a bunch of aggravation by simply checking for voltage at the horn terminals right from the get go. :doh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts