RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I disable the alarm and central locking so I can get my truck to run? I only have one manual key and the central locking from driver's door has never worked consistently. Tried the 1515 to no avail; also the key in position II and reconnecting the battery. Now the front passenger door lock seems to have lost its latch connection and only the drivers door opens from inside and outside. Stu, Boston USA.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Re: 2002 P38 Engine Disabled, Battery Drained, Locks Bouncing...

Please add your model year to your signature.

If you don't have the electronic key, you would normally need to enter the eka code every time?

If the manual key does not open the door, it could be:

+ The door has become deadlocked
+ The lock is damaged
+ The rod between the door handle and the lock has become detached.

Wait for others to chime in, but first step might be to check the door lock mechanism.

·
Registered
931 Posts

How can I disable the alarm and central locking so I can get my truck to run? I only have one manual key and the central locking from driver's door has never worked consistently. Tried the 1515 to no avail; also the key in position II and reconnecting the battery. Now the front passenger door lock seems to have lost its latch connection and only the drivers door opens from inside and outside. Stu, Boston USA.
First,what messages are being displayed on the message centre.
If you have only ever used a mechanical key and it has not unlocked consistently,then I would suspect the drivers door mechanism microswitches.You will have to repair/replace this,before you will be able to enter the EKA code.
It is never a good idea to have only a mechanical key or a remote fob as they are the backup for each other in the event of failure/loss of either.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Start by replacing that drivers lock latch for a new and working one., then get a copy of the keys with the remotes, there's a #1 and a #2.

With a working latch you will be able to open the car and run it by inserting the EKA (get the EKA code at the LR dealer when ordering the keys).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the feedback. The dash messages I get include: engine disabled and sunroof and doors not set. I don't normally lock the truck so have never had to use the EKA code, which I don't know. All the doors are super-locked so I can't get to the passenger side internal door mechanism if I wanted to (that latch seems now broken). The driver's door mechanism does flash the outside panel lights when I turn the key but does not work consistently to lock/unlock all doors. I tried reconnecting the batter to see if I could get the locks to bounce again into the open position - no luck. I could have it towed to the dealer to run diagnostics but that's under the passenger seat where door won't open. Not inclined to spend $250 for a new driver's door lock when turning the key blinks the lights, indicating the electrical connection is working. I feel as if the truck's completely broken.

Stu
2002 4.6 HSE P38 Oslo Blue
Past 1992 RR Classic County Ardennes Green

·
Registered
133 Posts

It´s seems to me that´s just a case of inserting the (correct) EKA code, if the light blinks when you turn the keys....
If you get the "engine" disabled" message it´s normal that only the drivers door opens, as soon as you insert the EKA all others will unlock.

Go to a LandRover dealer with the VIN and ask for the EKA code (for free). Owning such a car without knowing the EKA code is asking for trouble..

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

Make sure the EKA is enter carefully and the sequence is correct for your year and situation. From '96 the EKA had the added - 4 turn's to lock - at the beginning (of the sequence) if the vehicle was not locked with the remote (it wasn't here). I always looked at/counted the dash park light as i found it easier.

None of the other doors will react until the final unlock (of course indicating a successfully entered EKA). There are also time limits and limited attempts in which to enter an EKA.

It would only have superlocked if you initially locked the vehicle with 2 lock (key turn's) in 2 seconds when you last left it.

If you don't have the owner's manual (and even if you do) download RAVE in FAQ's for it and the Workshop manual has details too.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts

One scenario also is that the doors can deadlock themselves if the latch or outstation is faulty.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

Default EKA for NAS spec rigs is 1515. No dealer visit required. On some NAS rigs, it is disabled though, making it useless unless the becm gets unlocked and a new EKA code entered (ask me how I know.....)
I would say the BECM is now locked down and requires unlocking. Dealer can NOT do that BTW.
Paying a fortune for a working remote/key is of course an option, but I personally doubt that fixing your problems. Rigs set up for the North American market are set differently than other parts of the world, which needs to be taken into consideration.

Martin

·
Registered
133 Posts

Having a working remote will not unlock the BECM, it will only keep him from out of trouble in the future..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks guys! My dealer says N.A. Rovers don't have EKA codes (Hanover, MA, USA) and that it could be the BeCM. Told him BeCM can't be accessed as it's under the passenger seat, along with the diagnostics port, and the passenger door won't open from inside or out. I have tried the generic EKA 1515 and have done this with four locking key turns at the beginning but nothing. The outside panel lights blink on key turns but that's it.

Why can the dealer NOT reset the BeCM I wonder? Does it have to be sent to rover headquarters or something. Maybe I should write a letter to corporate...

Stu
2002 4.6 HSE P38 Oslo Blue (Boston, USA)

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

Purely on why, it needs special equipment soldered directly to a chip in the BeCM, Scotty [on here] will/can help with that as the equipment [for that] is expensive.

As i said just on 'why'. Is it always the case that a EKA type event (or whatever it is) resolves itself into a 'locked' BeCM i don't know, it would be great to know what exactly put's it into that situation, perhaps a certain number of failed EKA attempt's/no fob's/broken latch??? is there anything definitive to say that it has 'locked'?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

The dealer can hook it up and try to reset the security state.
If/when that fails, it means the becm is locked down and wont do jack until unlocked.
Unlocking the becm will allow the security state to be reset etc.
So the only way I know to check that the becm is in a full lock down is to try to reset the security with Faultmate, Rovacom, etc.

Martin

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts

...BeCM can't be accessed as it's under the passenger seat, along with the diagnostics port...
Incorrect on both accounts.

Diagnostics port can easily be reached without opening doors. It's under the dash/glove box. BeCM can be removed by removing the seat first. The trim screw at the fuse box is a little fiddly to get to but can be done with a stubby screw driver.

Dealers are geared for replacing parts. The BeCM was designed to be locked down for security and to avoid anyone changing certain items like VIN and Mileage. As far as your letter to coprorate I doubt they are going to show any interest in redesigning access for a rig that was designed almost 20 years ago and two models ago. `)

I would also try calling a different dealer. EKA ceratinly was used on NAS rigs. Many have 1515 as the EKA. Likewise many have code chosen during the ordering process. These codes were recorded in the LR database by VIN and are accessible by dealers much like radio codes.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

Now that two of us have said the same basic thing, maybe the OP will save some money and stay away from the stealership!:pray:
Mind, with folks suggesting the dealers etc, it may be a little confusing huh?
Only way to unlock the becm is to send it to Scotty, and have him work his magic on it. Both of which can be done with the door closed and locked!:thumb:
In over 70k miles, mine has yet to see a dealership, and my becm has locked itself down and freaked out too.

Martin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

So the dealer says no EKA codes for U.S. cars. This is a guy who runs the service dept and has five rovers at home. They suggested having it towed there and they'd see what they can do. Other than ripping open the passenger door to remove the passenger seat, or removing the passenger seat from open driver's door access, to get to the BeCM and diagnose it, not sure what they can do. This is crazy; I have a key for my truck and it won't let me start it.

Stu
2002 4.6 HSE P38

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I talked to a different dealer who looked up the VIN but found nothing about EKA or security codes, only a radio code. The radio code has zero's in it so it's unlikely to also serve as the EKA code given you can't turn the key zero times.

Stu 2002 4.6 HSE P38 Boston USA

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

Hate to tell you this (again), but the dealer is full of you know what.
The generic EKA code for NAS rigs is 1-5-1-5.
Hmmmm, "bring it here and we will see what we can do" huh? In LR dealer speak, that translates to "get it towed here so we can rape you silly, and have you by the balls"
Not sure how many more times this needs suggesting, but here goes again.
See if you can repair the drivers side door actuator, as this WILL put the becm into an alarmed state if broken, which the dealer can NOT unlock.
If the door actuator doesn't work, turn ignition on, write down the mileage as shown on the odometer, write teh vin number down, and disconnect battery.
Pull the seat, with the help of the good folks on here, and pull the becm out. After removal, send it to Scotty who will unlock it (again, the dealer can NOT do this), and send it back to you ready to run.
Not sure if you are following this yet, but the dealer is just a parts swapper. Just have a look at how many coil conversions were carried out by dealerships, when a valve block rebuild kit (valve block can NOT be rebuilt, according to the dealers BTW) is @$20.
By all means, keep believing the total BS that the dealer is feeding you, no difference to me. But when you call the rig stupid because you have a key and cannot drive it, when it has been giving you fair warning for some time now (no remotes, door locks doing funky stuff, etc), is not something we want to hear. Sorry to say it bud, look in the mirror to see who is to blame for it finally spitting it's dummy out and not starting anymore. It gave you fair warning after all huh?
Now you can either get all pissy and spit your own dummy out too, and have a 2 ton pile of scrap on the driveway. Or take it on the chin, follow a few simple steps, and get it running again. I know which makes more sense to me....
Also beware of folks that are not used to the settings that is in a becm destined for the North American market. Been a little bad information passed along in this thread already.
You are always better off listening to folks that have "been there and done that" when dealing with this stuff IMHO. The likes of Carl (RRToadhall) used to unlock becms himself, and has no doubt dealt with every possible scenario when it comes to funky electrical behavior from these rigs.. I have been in your shoes myself, with a becm in total lockdown and no start. Requiring an unlock of my own becm. Hell my 15yr old removed and installed it again, as I was away working at the time it had a bad hair day.:thumb:

Martin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts