RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak, took it to Meineke because I didnt have time for the job myself.... sure enough after 7 days and $600 still leaking. They took the manifold off and put some new gaskets... its the manifold that is leaking.

Anyhow they told me they were super careful, had to torch the screws and so on to get them out without snapping. I just got a new manifold, question I have is whats the best way to remove it without snapping bolts or causing harm... no way im going back to Meineke...

Please any tips are much much appreciated!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
91 Posts
I think that as the bolts have been removed not long ago, you should be good.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
and if the do snap, you know you've been charged $600 for them to do nothing. How do you know it's the manifold? A head gasket blow out the side of the block will sound just the same as a head to manifold leak when it first starts with no other symptoms.

·
Registered
340 Posts
get a hose pipe and use it to listen for the exact source of the blowing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and if the do snap, you know you've been charged $600 for them to do nothing. How do you know it's the manifold? A head gasket blow out the side of the block will sound just the same as a head to manifold leak when it first starts with no other symptoms.
I started the car, and I can feel exhaust blowing out of the manifold through the shield. Im pretty confident its where the "flex" part of the manifold is.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Put a hosepipe in one ear and point it at the blow, to be sure that's it... But if it is the flex part, what's your strategy? Replace manifold? The bolts probably won't need heat, they're new ( or shd be!)

·
Registered
340 Posts
But if you want heat, then just run the engine first....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok fellas... UPDATE:

Manifold not leaking... its a gasket on the block. See pic, is that the head gasket? BTW what am I looking at to fix this?
20200125_132222.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think your circle could be one of two joins - exhaust manifold to head (exhaust gaskets), or head to block (head gasket). If you can't isolate the blow with a hosepipe (but I find when the pipe is over the right spot you'll know it), then drive on it for a bit - if it gets really bad, and starts to sound like a full-on steam engine, then it'll be HG, but try not to be too far from home, the drive home is embarassing !!
You need to do the exhaust gaskets to get to the head gasket, but you don't need to do the head gasket to do the exhaust gaskets... and there's a reasonably big difference in labour, so it's good to know how involved you need to get. For now it's probably worth also checking the torque on the exhaust manifold bolts - in case they are loose, or weren't tightened properly
On the other hand you said you just had someone replace the exhaust gaskets- apparently they did a poor job and it's still blowing - maybe just take it back?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The manifold and its gaskets seem solid. I put mu hand against it all while running, a bit hot lol but no leaks. I felt a very strong leak blowing out of the part a I circled. This is the view from the bottom of the car. So underneath where the exhaust manifold bolts on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sure, I recognised the view, but the circle is also not far from the edge of the HG.
The exhaust bolts wd only feel loose with a torque wrench

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Head gasket blowing out the side of the block. Run the engine in the dark and you'll probably see the firing flame coming out of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts