RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to see if I can get the stock unit working, before tearing the whole thing out.
I have a 2002 HSE. USA spec.

The RAVE manual keeps referencing a GPS receiver that is mounted in the rear of the vehicle on/next the navigation computer.
I have found actual pictures. I do not have this receiver.
I do have the antenna, the antenna cable is plugged into the Nav Computer.

The display unit and the nav computer were both unplugged.

When I plug them back in, the screen is just green on the display.

If I press the eject button, I hear a sound like it's trying to eject a disc.

The power light on the Nav Computer is not on.

I have no volume with the radio - unplug the navigation system and I have sound from the radio again.

Should I have a receiver? or no they weren't used on the later models?

What should I look at next?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,420 Posts
Aloha,
If you happen to be on the Big Island, don't bother.......According to land Rover there are NO ROADS there! I got the DVD for mine and was stunned to find it is just a big brown Big island shaped area with blue around it! Oahu? YEP! They got roads!....Maui? I ~think~ they got roads.
Kauai? No idea......
Of course, if you are in Puna, Pele is busy erasing roads as I type this 8-0=.......So good luck!
I pulled the nav unit out of the back of my 02 and traded it for 2 cases of good Red wine to a mate in Oz!....Sent him the Hawaii CD as a bonus!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased my 1970 when we lived in Hawai'i. I guess technically it is the AlohaRover, but I use it as a screen name :)

I live in CO now.

At this point I just want to see if I can get it to work, so I can sell it :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello,
My 02 RR (see signature below) Nav system was locked up when I first got it 3 years ago. There are two pin holes to release the unit in the back of the rig. I took my Nav box apart and found a regular CD jammed in it. It would not eject. After studying it a while, I was able to dislodge the CD. The original Nav CD was in its case in the glove box. I put it in and it worked a treat.

We took a trip to White Mountain near Fayetteville, AR, and I was amazed that the voice told us of a new Interstate that had been opened. It did a good job, even without CD updates.

It does not let you type in a search well as it is only loaded with streets/cities that existed in 02.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If your only doing it to sell the car, then you’ve got the choice of replacing the screen with a nice double din system ( shallow unit ) or searching around for a head unit for the nav system which to be honest is total rubbish..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If your only doing it to sell the car, then you’ve got the choice of replacing the screen with a nice double din system ( shallow unit ) or searching around for a head unit for the nav system which to be honest is total rubbish..

Total Rubbish??
Heck, that's what most ignorant clods say about the ENTIRE P-38...........
What is "rubbish" to you: Nav system, EAS, factory audio, engine, steering.....Whatever,
Is a main feature for someone else, so if you have nothing constructive to add, why not whinge to yourself?
Cheers!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, just got the 02. No intention of selling it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,
My 02 RR (see signature below) Nav system was locked up when I first got it 3 years ago. There are two pin holes to release the unit in the back of the rig. I took my Nav box apart and found a regular CD jammed in it. It would not eject. After studying it a while, I was able to dislodge the CD. The original Nav CD was in its case in the glove box. I put it in and it worked a treat.

We took a trip to White Mountain near Fayetteville, AR, and I was amazed that the voice told us of a new Interstate that had been opened. It did a good job, even without CD updates.

It does not let you type in a search well as it is only loaded with streets/cities that existed in 02.
Thanks. So in your 02 do you have the GPS receiver bolted to the Nav Computer?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How come the nav system being plugged in kills sound to the speakers

·
Registered
340 Posts
Aloha,
ive got an 02 as well. My Sat NAV system unit was pulled out of the back when I got it.
I remeber the SAT unit is connected to the speakers so the voice commands can be sent to the speakers. Best of luck onngettingbit up and running. I’m down in The Springs. PM me if you need more help.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
It's muting the audio as it's expecting the nav unit to announce directions which, as it isn't working, it isn't going to. The only thing wrong with the nav system is that the discs are now out of date (if I remember right the most recent one out there dates back to 2015). It works, far better than most of the era, and compared with a modern Garmin, Tom Tom or even Google maps on a phone, it is, lets just say, different. What it can do that the others can't, is give a location when off road.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Total Rubbish??
Heck, that's what most ignorant clods say about the ENTIRE P-38...........
What is "rubbish" to you: Nav system, EAS, factory audio, engine, steering.....Whatever,
Is a main feature for someone else, so if you have nothing constructive to add, why not whinge to yourself?
Cheers!
I think chris has a point in saying that the original NAV is rubbish in that you won't be able to update the NAV data any newer than what was released as an update by Navteq in 2007. So, if you're trying to use the NAV for its intended purpose, it may not work so well because the data is so old.

Having said that, if the OP's intention is to keep everything original and make them all work properly, data issue may be moot. I do love the NAV's British accent as well as its off-road navigation capabilities using waypoint, which is quite unique.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
How come the nav system being plugged in kills sound to the speakers
When all is operating as it should, the nav system discreetly clears it's throat prior to dispensing an new instruction, (it mutes all the speakers) imparts it's wisdom, and then the speakers fade back up to their prior volume. On yours, things are obviously not quite right, so the Nav unit is killing the speakers all the time. Possibly why it was disabled in the first place?

Marty would be the man to really give you the nuts and bolts of it, as he has struggled and fiddled with this system a bit.......

·
Registered
764 Posts
Apparently I’m ignorant because I have an opinion on the sat nav system, everything on my p38 works, including the sat nav, do I use the S/N, NO !
Ive got the latest update possible, with no zip code entry it asks for the road, then town/ area, that’s ok if you know where your going, I always thought it was to get me there, not for me to know where I’m going.
I’d rather have something a bit more upto date, so at some point mine will be coming out and the rare dsp being changed, if you want originality then stick with it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Never heard of the screen going green before but your symptoms do sound like the 'white screen of death'. If you search this group you should see some posts on this subject. If it it this fault then I'm afraid it's probably terminal for the CD unit.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Chris no 10,
Relax, I was not even hinting you were in any way ignorant, just saying that if someone is posting here trying to solve an issue on his rig, telling him, in this case, that the sat nav is "Total Rubbish" is a bit heavy handed, and hints that the OP is making some kind of mistake by even bothering with it. Kind of like what happens to some poor sod who asks innocently here about the advantages of coil springs!!
(Of course, EAS Rocks, and coils are for Neanderthals!)
But I digress.........Carry on Gents!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think there’d be spending money on a system that 20 yrs ago was great, but now it’s so outdated, the cost of a cd driven unit could be as much as a complete system with mp3, dvd, sat nav, better screen, better graphics, updates readily available , I’m 90% certain that the steering wheel controls can be used, don’t get me wrong, I don’t even know how to load music to my phone, as I use it as a phone, I’m not a tech person, just think that sometimes an upgrade is better, I can see the keep original, I’m looking at getting a spare Center panel and if I ever selli can put back to original or leave as is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all.

With everything plugged in, and confirmed I have 12v at the proper pins.
The power indicator light in the front face of the nav computer doesn't come on when the vehicle is running and the eject button is pressed, or held down.
If I push the eject button, I can hear the unit reacting, clicks.
I have removed the nav computer top & bottom covers and confirmed there is not a disc in the unit.
The nav display unit has a light green hue when the vehicle is on. I found a second (supposedly) working unit. It exhibits the same light green color when turned on.

1. Is a CD required to test functionality further?
  2. Other then checking power are there any other tests I can perform?
  3. From my reading, it looks like the nav computer box is the same as used on BMWs, looking at photos the only difference appears to be the BMW label on the case. Are the MkIII the same? I have found one local. https://www.ebay.com/p/BMW-MK3-Navigation-Computer/111014923?iid=222970918369&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=50999&meid=92be82ffa81a4795bd0e1a1eef706bac&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=171081773819&itm=222970918369&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&thm=4000
  4. If #3 is true, can I use BMW CDs?
  5. Does anyone know where I can locate Rover CDs?

• I have seen a post on here where someone plugged a single channel to RGB converter into the stock system. This allows you to run a camera feed to your OEM in dash display. With a simple RCA video source switch I can use the in dash for both a winch cam and a back up cam. I think that alone would be worth getting the system working
  • If I need to figure out how to get from here to there I will most likely use Google Maps on my iPhone or Wayz. Its what I do in rentals, my Series, my old GMC, etc. But I do like the option of having the OEM system, and from what I have been told off-road the OEM is actually better than G-maps.
  • If I can fix the on-board system for say $200-300 I would like to try.
  • I understand this is 20yo tech.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMG_7654[1].JPG

This is what I ran in the 2000.
I saved the center dash section (it was a junk yard find for $10) and can install the same set up in the 02, but would rather see if I can get the OEM working :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That is quite the command center!
There were 3-4 different units in the back, and a few versions for different markets as well.
If the part number on yours and the part number on the BMW are same, obviously, no worries.
otherwise, I would give it a shot if both units were from the same year model. (as in an 02 nav unit from an 02 Beemer)
Be nice if someone nearby had a working unit you could try?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts