RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My truck wont start. It wants to, but it doesn't. I understand that this topic has been covered numerous times and I've read every discussion I can find. I've followed the suggestions, I've completed the sticky twice, and have replaced the alternator, battery, fuel pump and fuel filter, and reset the inertia switch. I've even resynced the remote handset. I have no fault or failure messages, the check engine light comes on, and a reader produces no diagnostic error codes.

When I say I've done the above, I mean a mechanic has. I'm a woman who knows very little about vehicles. I'm in Sacramento and hoping someone here who also lives in Sac would be willing to come take a look at it or can recommend a good mechanic. I've had no luck finding one here who can fix it, let alone who has the knowledge and know-how to get it back on the road, and I prefer not to get gouged financially by taking it to the shop at the Land Rover dealership.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
233 Posts
When you say 'it wants to' - is it spluttering at all, or just turning over forever?

The check engine light coming lighting up with ignition on a Bosch/Thor engine (as yours is an 02, it will be Bosch/Thor) doesn't mean much like it did on the older GEMS. On the GEMS, if the check engine light lit up with ignition on, it meant the BECM/engine ECU were in sync.

If its just spinning over no end with no signs of trying to start - it may be the BECM and engine ECU are out of sync.

Has it been checked for fuel pressure at the fuel rail, and spark?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
I would go back to basics. Get some aerostart or similar, spray it in the air cleaner and see if it kicks. Then you will know if it is fuel or spark. If it fires then you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't fire then pull off a plug and see if there is a spark. If no spark, replace the crank angle sensor, there are four coils so it should start with one bodgy one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts