RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Have a mate with an '02 HSE which won't move and I noticed that the front propshaft has become dislodged from the front diff but has taken the flange with it :shock:

He had it hauled to my place and I've yet had the time to investigate further, but first port of call will be to raise the front end and see if I can spin the wheels which should determine if the diff has grenaded, but does anyone have any additional suggestions or seen this one before? Thanks all in advance.

Also, I have a '96 4.6HSE parts truck. Will the front axle swap into the '02 if need be?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Front Diff, or if he was lucky, just a seized u-joints.

Don't know about the '96-'02 axle swap.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jacked up the front end, front wheels spin freely. I put a fuse in slot 11 in BeCM fuse box to get the transfer neutral and truck still won't move. I'm thinking the t-case itself is locked up. Only way to get it inside will be to disconnect the rear propshaft at the diff and push her in and investigate further. Bummer for him---especially if the front diff is ruined too!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the problem. Front diff grenaded. New (used) one en-route! Fortunately no damage to axle shafts or front prop..

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
408 Posts
I had a similar thing on a friends 2005 F350, front propshaft broke at the transfer case end though! Oh boy, the damage was amazing, transfer case smashed, fuel lines ripped out, wiring ripped out, cab floor beaten pretty bad too! In his case it was due to a failed auto locking hub, but all of these prop shaft related horror stories serve well to remind us to lube those joints and sliding sleeves!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts