RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to the forums so hello all, and new to Range Rovers ;-) I am looking selling my trusted 2005 Volvo V70 and buying a Range Rover v8 aged between 2002 and 2005 and will be looking at LPG conversions. I was talking to a garage today who really warned me to stay away from LPG conversions for this V8 engine due to the burn temperature of LPG and it killing the engine prematurely.

Please can anyone advice me if this is a load of rubbish or if it is just down to older LPG systems and what is really needed is a good system/installer.

Running a Range Rover with 12mpg would be a nightmare without LPG.

Many Thanks
Paul
Lancashire UK.
 

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
291 Posts
LPG produces less heat i guess which is better for the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I've been running a Prins LPG system since last August and no issues so far. I'd recommend it as long as you've got a decent price lpg outlet near you. `)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Have been running 2 L322s both 02 models on Zavoli lpg systems for 3 years with no engine issues.
Stewart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Never had a problem with mine. If its really going to bother you just fit a flashlube kit.
 

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
Joined
·
87 Posts
I've had my 2003 4.4i Vogue for nearly four years now and had a BRC sequent system fitted just 2 weeks into ownership at 28,000 miles. My car is about to turn 91,000 miles without any LPG issues the guy is talking nonsense! It's normally a lack of knowledge that brings such stupid statements! :shock:

My recommendations are to do your research first and talk to a number of installers preferably with a word of mouth recommendation, dont assume that you have to have one particular system, there are a number of good ones to choose from. Compare prices but remember if you go for the cheapest there is probably a reason for it! Mine was £2500 and I would question exactly what you were getting if it was any less than 2 grand! :naughty:

Any when you get it done and can afford to upgrade the Nav to a BMW Mk4 I will sort the custom Land Rover operating system for you and a map DVD with custom POI info listing most LPG filling stations accross the UK! :dance:

Good luck!

Andy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Ajay(UK) said:
I've had my 2003 4.4i Vogue for nearly four years now and had a BRC sequent system fitted just 2 weeks into ownership at 28,000 miles. My car is about to turn 91,000 miles without any LPG issues the guy is talking nonsense! It's normally a lack of knowledge that brings such stupid statements! :shock:

My recommendations are to do your research first and talk to a number of installers preferably with a word of mouth recommendation, dont assume that you have to have one particular system, there are a number of good ones to choose from. Compare prices but remember if you go for the cheapest there is probably a reason for it! Mine was £2500 and I would question exactly what you were getting if it was any less than 2 grand! :naughty:

Any when you get it done and can afford to upgrade the Nav to a BMW Mk4 I will sort the custom Land Rover operating system for you and a map DVD with custom POI info listing most LPG filling stations accross the UK! :dance:

Good luck!

Andy.
Nice service :thumb:
 

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
58 Posts
2003 Vogue now with 140.000km on the clock. Last 70.000km mostly with LPG. No Flashlube, but since the last two oil services Lubegard to the oil and next oil will be special LPG-oil with BMW-specifications(http://www.oelscheich24.de/titan-gt1-pr ... trieb.html).
No problems, LPG burns hotter than Petrol.

With the BMW-engines there is no problem with the engine, but the Jaguar-engines have problems(even with or without flashlube) because they have no hardened valve seats and so the valves engrave during the time (hope, that is the correct english term for it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
delSilencio said:
2003 Vogue now with 140.000km on the clock. Last 70.000km mostly with LPG. No Flashlube, but since the last two oil services Lubegard to the oil and next oil will be special LPG-oil with BMW-specifications(http://www.oelscheich24.de/titan-gt1-pr ... trieb.html).
No problems, LPG burns hotter than Petrol.

With the BMW-engines there is no problem with the engine, but the Jaguar-engines have problems(even with or without flashlube) because they have no hardened valve seats and so the valves engrave during the time (hope, that is the correct english term for it).
GOOD INFO - I had heard/researched that the Jag Engines did not like LPG conversion and that's why I sold my 06MY V8 Vogue and bought a TDV8 rather than risk converting the Jag Engine. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Just thought i'd add another positive review, done about 90k since LPG fitted no problems at all would recommend to anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info guys. I thought it sounded odd on the LPG, glad I chatted with you all before I was totally put off.

Now just have to find a good model at a sensible non rip-off price without stupid high mileage.. This is the hard bit...

Thanks
Paul.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ajay(UK) said:
I've had my 2003 4.4i Vogue for nearly four years now and had a BRC sequent system fitted just 2 weeks into ownership at 28,000 miles. My car is about to turn 91,000 miles without any LPG issues the guy is talking nonsense! It's normally a lack of knowledge that brings such stupid statements! :shock:

My recommendations are to do your research first and talk to a number of installers preferably with a word of mouth recommendation, dont assume that you have to have one particular system, there are a number of good ones to choose from. Compare prices but remember if you go for the cheapest there is probably a reason for it! Mine was £2500 and I would question exactly what you were getting if it was any less than 2 grand! :naughty:

Any when you get it done and can afford to upgrade the Nav to a BMW Mk4 I will sort the custom Land Rover operating system for you and a map DVD with custom POI info listing most LPG filling stations accross the UK! :dance:

Good luck!

Andy.
Thanks for that, I spotted the web page to get the upgrades, Think I would need to let funds recover, would like the bluetooth upgrade too, not to mention the Digital TV and the Stereo, and the screen... lol OMG It will cost me a fortune....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Are the LPG fittings the same all over Europe as they are in UK?
Can you fill up in Europe just as you could in the UK?
Can you take an LPG fitted vehicle on a cross channel ferry?

(Over here in Canada, as far as I know, you aren't even allowed to take LPG converted vehicles into inside parking garages).
 

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
58 Posts
Norval, no problem. Done a 6000km trip in summer, from northwest Germany through Nethterlands, ferry to England, through Scotland, down to Dover/Calais and to southern France, Andorra and finally back via Belgium to Germany and the whole trip with one petrol filling in Netherlands. The complete rest on LPG, you only need different filling adaptors. Netherlands and GB have the same, Belgium and Germany have another and France another different, that´s all.
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Norval said:
Are the LPG fittings the same all over Europe as they are in UK?
Can you fill up in Europe just as you could in the UK?
Can you take an LPG fitted vehicle on a cross channel ferry?

(Over here in Canada, as far as I know, you aren't even allowed to take LPG converted vehicles into inside parking garages).
You need an adaptor to use it abroad as the UK pumps have a different fitting, you also cant go in the channel tunnel. You can drive a camper van in loaded with LPG bottles, but not a vehicle that runs on LPG.

Not sure how they'd check, I guess if they saw the filler plug they would ask you to turn around. The ferry is far cheaper than the tunnel anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Not sure how they'd check, I guess if they saw the filler plug they would ask you to turn around. The ferry is far cheaper than the tunnel anyway.
Ouch just imagine the trouble you would be in if your car exploded in the Chunnels having sneaked it onto the train :naughty: :doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Hello from France,

I'm new on the forum with a 2004, 55000 km, Vogue I just bought yesterday and that is currently being equipped with a Prins LPG system.

As I'm a traveller, I've just been checking on the web: as far as I can see, LPG is allowed on the ferries between France in England. Only the old systems without a security valve must be forbidden, as they are in all the underground car parks in France. No problem with an up-to-date installation I guess.

One question : what is the capacity of your LPG tanks. And what's your consumption with LPG? With fuel?

Regards,
Pierre
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top