Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Gordo51. Your point on fuel pump is well taken. Thank you. Something to consider for the near future. My bandwidth is full in the short term.

TheoR. I'm am going to clean them with a product called Leather Honey and evaluate after that.

The truck had 86k on it in 2006. Over the following 15 years the prior owner only put 55k on it and I'm sure they were rather gentle miles. Highway and around-town driving almost exclusively. He was an attorney from Connecticut. Service records include regular oil and filter changes and the tell-tale clear sticker on the windshield indicating when the next change is suggested.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
435 Posts
Dropping the tank is not too hard if you have a big trolley jack to hold it up or two small ones. Be careful to not snap off the studs that a couple of the nuts go onto. I have read that connecting the filler pipes back up can be tricky but I had no trouble. You don't need to replace the whole frame unless the level sender is bad. Just the pump can be purchased from Quantum Fuel Systems. Might be best to take out the old pump and email them the dimensions along with your vehicle information as they sent me the wrong pump on first try.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Well no P38 ownership experience is complete without an EAS issue(s). I have read through many of the threads and it is obvious that leak detection is the first skill one must develop.

Overnight my rear end has slumped on both sides...

I took some video of the connections involved...both rear bag connections, the bags themselves, and the valve block.

Since this is my first time troubleshooting I would love the opinion of the collective cognoscenti here at RR.net as to whether or not there are leaks. The rear bags are about 10 years old but only have 12,000 miles on them.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL1XtDAf4CRw_teXj5sDeAtymd4CaCK0l

·
Registered
435 Posts
First question is why didn't self leveling drop the front to match? Do you have the self leveling relay under the drivers seat plugged in? If you have used diagnostics successfully it must be plugged in and the car should be evenly down.

Running the car up to normal or off-road height and then removing that relay will usually tell you if one bag is leaking as that corner will drop but the others will stay up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Have you used diagnostics on the car? You will not get a connection if that relay is missing. Easy enough to look under the seat though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A diagnostic tool (I forget which) indicated "LHR ABS sensor short to another sensor". I was prepared to find the discontinuity but then I read Marty's web site ( Range Rover P38 Parts Shop ). Looks like the ABS ECU has gone south. I've ordered another and might have my original refurbished by Marty. I wanted quick turnaround which is why I bought another this time.

I haven't dealt with the EAS yet. Will play around with that this weekend when I will have access to a diagnostic tool.

After checking continuity from C1290 to C1594 it appears my BECM was not supplying power to the cigar lighter. I tapped the line from the (really terrible) after-market radio until I come up with a more permanent solution.

There was clearly something making a sound in the passenger blower motor....acorn removed.

Did some reconnaissance behind the dash and have begun to formulate a strategy regarding audio. Just wanted to know how hacked up the existing system was and what is still present. Eventually I'd like to install a 7" head unit where the NAV system is now and turn the radio slot into a small cubby. There will be some interim steps undoubtedly.

Four new tires (Continental CrossContact LX25) to replace the four non-matching hunks of rubber.

Refurbished the jack which was frozen but unused. I happen to have parts from another on which I had broken the plastic tank. Had a ready supply of o-rings to use from a visit to an hydraulic shop a couple of years ago. Now I have a working jack.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts